• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CO2 tank fill-up

d10shun

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my CO2 tank filled at Phoenix Welding Supply in Gilbert. I brought it home and found I only had 800-900 psi in it. Last time I filled it the regulator said 2800+ psi. I called PWS and they said the psi increases as I use it. Is this right?
DSC03283.jpg

DSC03284.jpg

Yeah, I thought about that after I sent the tank in. I guess I'll have to do that next time. Just to check though, what psi are you getting out of your 10lb units?

Co2 at 70* should be around 825psi......

it is filled by weight instad of pressure like other inert gasses, the pressure only increases with temprature increases.

If you were registering 2800+ psi the saftey disc should have ruptured. The tank you have is a DOT 3AL1800 cylinder and has a working pressure of 1800 psi. The safteys go from 2800-2900 psi. You might want to have the guage checked or replaced if you get that reading again!

check the back of your regulator too.... Looks as if it's a CGA 580 fitting coupled to a cga 320 fitting on the tank...??????

See if the regulator say's anything about co2 or inert gasses on the back of it....

So how heavy would the CO2 itself weigh in a full 10lb bottle? I ask about the CO2 itself as full bottle weight will vary from one to another.

I believe mine was around $12 for a 10# tank the last time I had mine filled. I can fill my 35's a couple of times before needing a refill but I also tend to use the tank around the house because it is more convenient than firing up the compressor.

my-xj-addiction said:
Co2 at 70* should be around 825psi......

it is filled by weight instad of pressure like other inert gasses, the pressure only increases with temprature increases.

If you were registering 2800+ psi the saftey disc should have ruptured. The tank you have is a DOT 3AL1800 cylinder and has a working pressure of 1800 psi. The safteys go from 2800-2900 psi. You might want to have the guage checked or replaced if you get that reading again!

I was definately over the 2000 psi mark on my last fill up. I will take a pic when I see it again. The reg was something I found on ebay for about $18. There is an extra fitting between the bottle and reg to make it work. I wanted to build this on the cheap instead of the $81/$116 reg here. http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/co2systems.htm.

I like having an adj. reg - I can fill tires quick at 150+psi (wifeys honda civic tires just take a few seconds of air) and use air tools, like a nibbler at 90psi.

Addiction - can I leave the bottle in the sun to see my "future" psi?

That's about where mine runs at 8 - 9 lbs. I rarely can get the full 10 lbs in it. (Welding supply I use doesn't have a pump, so it depends on how full their tank is) Usually down to 500 when around 3 -4 lbs left. My Power tank, regulator and handle weighed in at 17 lbs empty. I try to have at least 7 lbs for a weekend trip. Usually use it mostly for setting others beads and airing up those that drove to the events.
Cost @ $1.50 a lb.

8 lbs will fill 12-14 35 inch tires from 12 psi to 35 psi or so, or set about 6 - 8 beads as I noticed so far.

d10shun said:
Addiction - can I leave the bottle in the sun to see my "future" psi?

you can do that. However Co2 is a temprature sensitive gas. At 0*F its 300-310 psi
70* should be around 825psi
120* should be around 1500psi
160* Hope it never gets this hot!!!!!!

the easiest way to tell how much you have left is to go get a small fishing scale. Weigh your tank empty, then weigh it full. It should be 10 lbs heavier if you have a 10 lb tank.

Most fills should cost 10-15 dollars depending on where you are geographically. I charge $10 for 10 and 15 pound tanks.

Alot of your preset regulators do not have guages and if you look around there are some cheap ones that work really well for $40.

D10shun. If it works keep going, I wouldn't trust the guages, but there is a good chance you'll have to rebuild the regulator after a few good frost ups. (I learned the hard way)

CO2 is a liquid in the tank. Only the headspace is gas. That's why it stays at about 800-900 psi until you are almost empty. As you use the gas the liquid literally boils off, refilling the headspace and maintaining the pressure. Then, once all the liquid is gone, the pressure drops as the remaining gas is used up.

Theoretically, a 10 lb. tank will hold 10 lbs. of liquid CO2. a 20 lb. tanks will hold 20 lbs. and so on. In reality you will usually get just a bit less than this in there. I have a 5 lb. tank, which is completely adequate for my needs, and costs $7.50 to refill.

my-xj-addiction said:
you can do that. However Co2 is a temprature sensitive gas. At 0*F its 300-310 psi
70* should be around 825psi
120* should be around 1500psi
160* Hope it never gets this hot!!!!!!

D10shun. If it works keep going, I wouldn't trust the guages, but there is a good chance you'll have to rebuild the regulator after a few good frost ups. (I learned the hard way)

It is possible that my tank gets over 140* I live in Arizona and have a black truck. Average temps in the summer are 110* The interior literally bakes.

When I first used my tank I frosted it 3-4 times. What parts will need to be rebuilt?

tank frosting is normal. no problems there.

However... I would take it out of the jeep if it's that hot!!!

C02 - resurrected

Update
I knew I wasn't on crack. I got my tank filled today at Phoenix Welding Supply. This morning I weighed my tank at home and it was 15lb completely empty. I drove down to PWS and had them fill it. I took the tank outside, placed it on the scale that I brought and saw it was only at 20.5lb. 4.5lb short on my 10lb bottle. The guy said a new employee was working and probably didnt' fill it right. Okay, fine with me. He brought it back out and I placed it on the scale and now it says 30lb - 5 lbs OVER. The guy there said that is too high and the safety disc could rupture. So I opened the valve and let the gas out. Now I have a popsicle. I guess their new policy is to sell 5lbs of gas for the price of 10lbs!
DSC03342.jpg

Word of advice for everyone that has their own tank - bring your scale with you!!

Back