• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which helicoil kit for 97 caliper bolts

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
1997 xj. which helicoil kit do i want to buy? ive got 2 stripped caliper bolts (one on each side) so which kit fits? ive seen the ones at autozone and they come with the tap and threads and bit but i dont know how to tell which one i need.

Are the threads on your bolt stripped or is the head stripped? Don't you just get the kit that is the size of the bolt?

olivedrabcj7 said:
1997 xj. which helicoil kit do i want to buy? ive got 2 stripped caliper bolts (one on each side) so which kit fits? ive seen the ones at autozone and they come with the tap and threads and bit but i dont know how to tell which one i need.

so your knuckle is striped out? or the caliper is?

hpw much are new calipers? for my d44 (much larger caliper) they were something like $30 a piece with a $10 core...

a helicoil kit is like 20.00.... might as well buy new calipers...

I probably got ripped off, but when I had to get the 10-32 helicoil kit from Napa this past summer, it was $40. Ouch.

my knuckles are what stripped. i dont what size the bolts are. its a 97. hoping somebody has the info i need.

XJ_ranger said:
so your knuckle is striped out? or the caliper is?

hpw much are new calipers? for my d44 (much larger caliper) they were something like $30 a piece with a $10 core...
:confused: where would you strip a thread in the caliper that you could helicoil????

Did you try to search?? Anyways it's m8 1.25 Also when you get the helicoil get the whole kit: tap drill bit and inserts as the tap is nonstandard thread for the inserts. I think I paid something like $23 or so @ AutoZone (they got it under a differnt name)

Kejtar said:
Did you try to search?? Anyways it's m8 1.25 Also when you get the helicoil get the whole kit: tap drill bit and inserts as the tap is nonstandard thread for the inserts. I think I paid something like $23 or so @ AutoZone (they got it under a differnt name)

Kit P/N 25628 @ Autozone. Had one in my toolbox. Just did it last month.

The kits I found around here didn't come with a drill. You will need a 21/64.

Everything else is included. Each kit contains at least 3 helicoils.

HTH

Kejtar said:
:confused: where would you strip a thread in the caliper that you could helicoil????
thats kinda what i was thinking too :wierd:

Kejtar said:
yeah i searched and the best i could come up with is that its a common problem and that people use heli coils to fix them but no definite answers on the size used for the 97. thanks for the info!! :wave:

Dirk Pitt said:
Kit P/N 25628 @ Autozone. Had one in my toolbox. Just did it last month.

The kits I found around here didn't come with a drill. You will need a 21/64.

Everything else is included. Each kit contains at least 3 helicoils.

HTH
Maybe you're right on the drill bit. I do know though that the tap is unique and different from the taps you'd have in your tap and die set (I called and asked helicoil folks about it).

meet me at superlift tomorrow and i'll give ya mine from when i had to do it ;)

Thayer said:
I probably got ripped off, but when I had to get the 10-32 helicoil kit from Napa this past summer, it was $40. Ouch.

Nope, that's about right. Heli-Coils ain't cheap - never are. There's a good reason why I don't keep anymore on hand than I've got left over from other jobs...

5-90

Wow I thought I was the only one who had stripped the threads in the knuckle. I've got a 8mm helicoil kit sitting around too! Started using a torque wrench and I stopped stripping bolts/threads, as often anyways.

Back