• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Assistance

jeepguy68

NAXJA Forum User
ALL,
Friend1 had Friend2 work on jeep. Friend 2 knowns little to nothing IRT Jeep. Friend 2 broke terminal connector off black component on back of alternator. I assume this to be part of internal regulator. Parts books do not address this specific component. Friend1 wishes, as do we all, to repair a lowest cost.\\

Vehicle is 97 TJ with 2.5L.
Any suggestions?

Jason

jeepguy68 said:
ALL,
Friend1 had Friend2 work on jeep. Friend 2 knowns little to nothing IRT Jeep. Friend 2 broke terminal connector off black component on back of alternator. I assume this to be part of internal regulator. Parts books do not address this specific component. Friend1 wishes, as do we all, to repair a lowest cost.\\

Vehicle is 97 TJ with 2.5L.
Any suggestions?

Jason

You should be able to snag an altnernator off ebay for about $17.

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...=1&from=R8&satitle=jeep+alternator&category0=

I am friend 3. and I have to add alot, so go get some coffee.

Okay, after looking at it, I have come to realize that the entire fault was described wrong. There is nothing wrong with the atlernator. What broke is some sort of rectangular resistor or ground strap that attaches to the back of the alternator. There are two small black wires ( assuming ground) with spade connectors that attach to the small terminals on the rear of the alt. There is also a large black wire and a spade connector that attach to the housing of the alt.. Comming out of this rectangluar black box are a green wire with a white stripe and a pure green wire. There is a Third large black wire that bolts to the block. I have read that the voltage regulator on this year of jeep is regulated via tha ECU. Since the two green wires go into the main wiring harness and I can't trace them without unravilling everything I will be working off this theory. I am assuming this is some sort of biasing resistor to provide a sensing voltage to the ECU porprotional to the alt output, thus allowing the ECU to compensate when the signil doesn't match the reference signal.
Now to what actually broke. The single terminal that attaches to the housing of the alternator sheared off. Part of me thinks that things would be okay to hook up and run without this ground, however I can't imagine why Jeep would engineer something without neccessity. Does anyone know what this little black box does and what will happen if I run this Jeep witout one of those grounds attached?

If it's a ground you will need it, jeeps do funny things when grounds are not there, dirty or offer high resistance. If something broke off either fix it or replace it..otherwise the result may be gremlin chasing....

Even if you follow your theory about it being for the ECU to regulate voltage, the Jeep may run, but what about the regulation? The lights may get real bright for a while, then something bad happens. Is there anyway to repair the tab? Sounds like it's time to get out the soldering gun.
Also, to be sure, you might want to look at the ECU connector for that green wire pair, and just do a continuity check on them, at least then you'll be sure of what you're looking at.

Back