• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I Just use a grade-8 bolt for leaf springs

bretto

NAXJA Forum User
I had the broken nut senerio while removing the leafs. I'm in the process of cutting out the bolt. Once it is all out can I go to the local hardware joint and get a grade-8 nut & bolt of the same size.
Brett

bretto said:
I had the broken nut senerio while removing the leafs. I'm in the process of cutting out the bolt. Once it is all out can I go to the local hardware joint and get a grade-8 nut & bolt of the same size.
Brett

Which bolt? ;)

Sorry, I assumed everyone could read my mind. It it the front leaf eye bolt/nut.

You arent going to find the actual metric size at a hardware store.
(hardened or otherwise). You can sub an american bolt though since you are
obviously replacing the nut anyway.

You can find the exact bolt at a good bolt supplier like boltdepot.com . Thats is where I got all six of mine at about a third of the cost of the dealer. Shipping can kill this idea but maybe you can find something similiar in your area.

katarn

Just found the closest one (9/16") which is just a smidgen bigger but still slides in. Works fine. Man was that fun. Oh is any one needs to know, the nut inside is a 21mm or a 15/16" which is pretty mucht the same size. Now does anyone need some 4" tomken springs..up for sale soon.
Brett

I know you fixed it but did you cruise over to Double D? I love that place and they sometimes give you free stuff.

You could, but it would probably be better to use what was in there originally - match the head markings, or just take the metric (like 9.8) and translate it over into the SAE strength class - I can help with that if you need it.

The problem with going to a harder bolt, is that it will have a more drastic and sudden failure than one lower - a Grade 8 will snap and burst, quickly, while a Grade 5 will stretch and deform, which will allow you to figure out what's going on before your rig becomes undriveable...

There is a reason for the various strength classes (Metric - 8.8, 9.8, 10.9, 12.9 and SAE - Grade 5, Grade 8, and Grade L9; being the most common.) I'd have to look up how to read the metrics and what the equivalent SAE grades are, but it is possible to "crossover" from one to the other with only a little error...

5-90

bretto said:
Just found the closest one (9/16") which is just a smidgen bigger but still slides in. Works fine. Man was that fun. Oh is any one needs to know, the nut inside is a 21mm or a 15/16" which is pretty mucht the same size. Now does anyone need some 4" tomken springs..up for sale soon.
Brett

sure i can use them...

wanna give them to me? :)

yes you can, I have done it, almost two years, no problemo.

bretto said:
Brett
Aren't they $3 or $5 at http://www.moparpart.com/dps_index.html or the nearest dealership or is it a time issue ?

Back