• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 on the way out? Or just acting normal?

Biernuts

NAXJA Forum User
I've recentlly put an 89 XJ back on the road after sitting for about 3 years.
141K miles on the OD.

The tranny (AX-15) sure is noisy....in fact, there's a lot of knocks, dings, creaks and and other sounds while drivng down the road. This is my first Xj and I've read that XJ's in general make a lot of noise...(from what, I don't know).

Anyway, the trans seems to run just fine at speed although 5th is a little whiney. Shifting into 1st can be a little tough as it doesn't just slide in, even when warm.

Any opinions? Am I just being paranoid?

I'm going to change the TC and tran lubes this weekend, hopefully that'll help.

That's just how my AX-15 acted before it croaked. 5th got tough to shift into, then it started with the other gears.

If you change fluids, get Mopar fluid ($15 per quart...need 3), or something like Penzoil Synchromesh (about $5 Autozone). Check the label for compatibilty with bronze components in the tranny (your synchros). Sulpher in GL-5 fliuds can eat up those synchros and cause your problems. Look for a GL-3 rating.

Steve

Steve -

When yours died, did you rebuild yourself, have a shop[ do it or buy used?

I'm not ready to rebuild a tranny myself and I'm wondering what it would cost to get an AX-15 rebuilt or just buy a new/rebuilt...just curious.

Thanks

I found a used tranny with 34K on it. $600 already pulled. Keep your old CPS if it's working. The one that came with my "new" tranny didn't plug into my harness. Swapped it in and did a clutch and rear u-joint as long as it was all apart.

From what I understand, an NV-3550 from a newer Jeep is a bolt in...little stronger and a deeper 1st gear.

Back