• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NO brake pedal!

LittleAnthony88

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished doing my front brakes, (rotors and pads), i go to pull out the driveway and have to yank the ebrake to stop! Fluid level is topped of and nothing leaking underneath either. The pedal just goes to the floor.

Can anyone help me out here please?

Did you pump the brakes to seat them before putting the vehicle in gear?

Since you pushed the pistons back into the caliper bores the pads are still too far from the rotors. Pumping the brakes should seat them, failing that, bleed the brakes.

Do it again. Sounds like you have a bubble or the MC has taken a dive. Try bleeding the brakes.

What kinda shape are the calipers in? Sounds like one (or both) of the pistons are seized in their bore to me.... Have someone push the pedal while you eyeball each one and see if they're moving or not.
Jeff

If the brakes are bled, there are no leaks, and a piston is seized in the bore, you would still have brake pedal and have brakes on at least one side. You should at least have rear brakes.

You either have a bad MC or the brakes have not been bled correctly. How exactly are you bleeding the brakes. You can't bleed the brakes unless you have brake pedal.

Did you replace the calipers too? I made the stupid mistake a couple weeks ago, when I replaced the calipers, of putting the new ones on the wrong sides...causing the bleeder to be at the bottom of the 'piston pot'. This allowed an air bubble to sit in each caliper and caused the pedal to go to the floor. Even though I was getting a steady stream of fluid when I had my wife help me bleed the brakes.

Did it say i changed calipers to?

had a hose on the open bleader then pumped the brakes till straight fluid came out, tighten bleader then on to next side.

LittleAnthony88 said:

had a hose on the open bleader then pumped the brakes till straight fluid came out, tighten bleader then on to next side.
Do it again, make sure you have fluid in the bleed jar before you start.

LittleAnthony88 said:

Chill, friend.....

That's a pretty simple thing that some people overlook, and he was just trying to help.

The old man has a point. When you bled the brakes initially, did you keep the brake fluid level up in the resevoir? If it went down too low, then a large air bubble could be stuck in the system behind the solid stream of brake fluid you're getting now. That would keep you from having any brakes at all. Just a thought.

What brand of pad did you use?

For what this is worth, I replaced my fronts with Autozone's best once. When I finished, I could have sworn air worked its way in somehow, but how could it? Brakes felt mushy and wouldn't stop it, not enough to be on the road at least. Put old ones back on and it went away. Long story short, I went to Napa and got brake pads. Stopped better than with old pads, and they still do, well, for having the axles I do. Won't EVER use Autozone's again.

OK, one more time the brakes were bled, NO AIR WHATSOEVER is coming out, nothing but fliud, and yes the res. is full while bleeding them.
Bleeding them is out so can we try something else here cause im running out of patience with everyone telling me to bleed the dam brakes.

Sorry but i had to vent,,, this appears to be a M.C. repair as well.

Any thoughts now gentlemen?

OK, one last question. How did you get pedal pressure while bleeding the brakes. Bleeding the brakes consists bleeding the fluid until you get a hard pedal.

That is why everybody keeps harping on bleeding the brakes. Yes, like I said, if you are unable to get rid of the problem by bleeding, you need a new MC.

I agree old man ,sounds like he pushed the pedal a little too far down when he was clampin them calipers back down wasted master cylinder

LittleAnthony88 said:
Any thoughts now gentlemen?

I have a thought. Switch to decaf. Also we understand your frustration, but you will probably get more help by not being such an ass.

Now everyone has said it and I will say it again...re-bleed the brakes, only this time do it right.

1. Be sure the fluid res. is full.
2. Open the bleed screw and have someone step on the pedal(slowly).
3. Close the bleed valve.
4. Have the helper release the pedal(slowly).
5. Repeat steps 1 thru 4 until there is some pedal pressure and no air coming out.
6. Move on to the next wheel and start over.

Start at the farthest wheel from the MC and work your way to the closest wheel. If this does not solve the problem or it won't hold pressure you either have a small leak or a bad MC

Are'nt you suposed to pump the brake untill you get some pedel then hold the pedel down, then open bleeder while holding the pedel down, close bleeder and then release pedel? Have I been doing it wrong all my life?

If you run the hose into a bottle of brake fluid, you can keep pumping over and over until the bubbles are no longer coming, but you are supposed to close it and work up the pressure to make sure it is bled.

I'm lazy, I have a electric vacuum bleeder I made. All I have to do is hook up the hose to the bleed screw and open the screw. Ideally someone stays up top to keep the MC filled. It is the lazy mans way.

Back