• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Rwd question

Roads

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who have disconnected your rear driveshaft due to having a slip yoke. What keeps the slip yoke from coming out?

I think you'll find that's "Slip Yoke Eliminator," not "slip yoke."

When you have a slip yoke in place without any other retention (viz, the length of the driveshaft,) there's really NOTHING holding it in there, and it can slip at any time.

If you have a "fixed yoke" (also, "slip yoke eliminator,") the output yoke is retained upon the ouput shaft by some sort of threaded dingus - either a bolt down the middle, or a threaded portion of the output shaft protrudes through the yoke. The latter would be like the pinion yokes on the axles, or the front output yoke on the transfer case.

So, if you have a SYE installed, it's perfectly safe to run without the rear drivesahft, since the yoke (and the fluid!) isn't going anywhere. If you don't have the SYE kit, having a slip yoke stuck in place without some sort of retention isn't going to get you very far...

5-90

No i meant slip yoke. People will drive in 4wd and disconnect their rear DS, now making the jeep a Fwd to prevent either insane vibes or the chance of the DS falling out of the t-case. Now...back to my question, how do you keep the yoke from coming out? I am a nOOb at t-cases so take it easy on me.

Like the man said you dont unless its a fixed yoke(NP 205,dana 20 etc, maybe jap stuff? dunno) or been converted to a sye kit. Off the top of my head I cant think of any vehicle made today with a fixed yoke in the rear like the old days. If you pull the DS you will loose the fliud in the TC.

Roads said:
No i meant slip yoke. People will drive in 4wd and disconnect their rear DS, now making the jeep a Fwd to prevent either insane vibes or the chance of the DS falling out of the t-case. Now...back to my question, how do you keep the yoke from coming out? I am a nOOb at t-cases so take it easy on me.

That's a new one. People *DON'T* pull their rear d/s for vibe problems, they pull the front d/s. XJs as a general rule don't like FWD.

The reason that the fronts get pulled is that at higher lifts, it's difficult to balance caster angler vs. operating angle at the front pinion u-joint. If you dial in enough caster for decent road manners, you'll have a pretty ugly operating angle at the front u-joint, thus leading to vibrations even when there's no load on it. If you reduce the caster to lower the operating angle, that leads to wandering and potentially some wobble problems.

Pulling the rear driveshaft is generally only done if there's a mechanical problem to the rear, like a broken u-joint, or a bent driveshaft.

ummmm, i agree w/ chixjeff

but, if you have a 96 or newer xj (np231) you can just pull the drive shaft, the tcase is sealed

You don't stop the slip yoke from coming out.

You take it out, and on an older xj, replace it with this:

http://dirtbuddy.com/tjshop/asp/pro...at=248&ph=&keywords=&recor=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=

On a newer xj, rumor is you don't need to do anything beyond take it out.

And xj's dont necessarily mind being driven in FWD, I drove mine about 900 miles on the front tires a few months ago. Probably not a great idea, but it cant be -that- much harder than driving one in full time four wheel drive.. which is a factory option..

cal said:
You don't stop the slip yoke from coming out.

You take it out, and on an older xj, replace it with this:

http://dirtbuddy.com/tjshop/asp/pro...at=248&ph=&keywords=&recor=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=

On a newer xj, rumor is you don't need to do anything beyond take it out.

And xj's dont necessarily mind being driven in FWD, I drove mine about 900 miles on the front tires a few months ago. Probably not a great idea, but it cant be -that- much harder than driving one in full time four wheel drive.. which is a factory option..

Thank you cal, finaly someone that answred the question with an appropriate response in regards to my ORIGINAL queston. Only problem is that I have the NP242. That product says NP231, any new ideas?

Roads said:
Only problem is that I have the NP242. That product says NP231, any new ideas?

The slip yokes are interchangeable so i dont see any reason why that plug wouldnt work on a 242.

My gues is that its targeted toward the wrangler crowd where the 242 wasn't an option on the tj or yj AFAIK .

I'm going to agree with ECU88XJ. The guy that makes that runs a YJ. I have personally seen that plug on a 242 in the past.

Roads said:
Thank you cal, finaly someone that answred the question with an appropriate response in regards to my ORIGINAL queston.

Got attitude?

Your original question was:

Roads said:
What keeps the slip yoke from coming out?

Your question was answered several times. Maybe you should have asked how to keep the fluid in, if in an emergency, you HAD to pull the slip yoke out. I agree with Jeff the 231 case was NOT designed to have the full wieght of the vehicle being pulled by the front wheels for extended periods.

Rev

Roads said:
Thank you cal, finaly someone that answred the question with an appropriate response in regards to my ORIGINAL queston. Only problem is that I have the NP242. That product says NP231, any new ideas?
Just keep in mind jeep wasn't meant to be used as a FWD. If you're looking at this to find out the best way to get of a trail to get home when you bust a rear DS, or to drive around while waiting for a new rear to be made for that brand spanking new SYE That you've just put in (wait... when you put in SYE you don't need it hint hinkt).
Anyways if you're wanting to drive on the front driveshaft cause you got vibes... expect big repair bills sooner then later.

Kejtar said:
Just keep in mind jeep wasn't meant to be used as a FWD. If you're looking at this to find out the best way to get of a trail to get home when you bust a rear DS, or to drive around while waiting for a new rear to be made for that brand spanking new SYE That you've just put in (wait... when you put in SYE you don't need it hint hinkt).
Anyways if you're wanting to drive on the front driveshaft cause you got vibes... expect big repair bills sooner then later.

The reason why I would want to run this is only if I have to. When I lift I am not buying a SYE right away. If my DS is about ready to pop out I would rather remove until I get the SYE and or DS.

when you lift you should save untill you can do both. the fact is that the front end was not ment to handle being used as the primary drive axle. some people get away with driving long distances with no rear ds but that is far from good. depending on year you may or maynot need to plug the rear output on the t-case to stop fluid loss. people pull the rear DS for a SHORT term fix and should not be considered as a way out while you save some money. after all what are ya gonna do with your jeep all lifted and only FWD.

Roads said:
The reason why I would want to run this is only if I have to. When I lift I am not buying a SYE right away. If my DS is about ready to pop out I would rather remove until I get the SYE and or DS.
OK, in that case... you're asking for trouble. 'nuff siad.

Roads said:

Stupidest idea I have ever heard.
no.gif
Is it your DD? Maybe if you were out on a trail and it poped out, plug the hole, then run in FWD till you get home to put it back in.

How much lift are you aiming at? Get a TC drop and maybe THIS if it even works.

Refer to this thread.

Back