• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 Tailshaft Swap

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
How hard is it to swap tailshafts on the AX-15. My MJ needs a new tranny, Ive found a 2WD AX-15 from an MJ for a good price. I would need to take the tailshaft/T-case off of my current tranny and mate it to this 2wd. Easy or hard? Will the output shafts on the tranny match in length?

Why are you swapping tailshafts?

If you are going from 2WD to 4WD, you're going to need to get a tailshaft housing (or a transfer case adapter,) and a mainshaft. The countershaft is the same, but the mainshaft is different between 2WD and 4WD (as I recall, the 2WD mainshaft is longer.)

5-90

BrettM said:
you have an 87 MJ? original tranny? it will be a Peugeot, not an AX15, no parts will be compatible.
It's got an AX-15 with a bad inpout shaft bearing in it. Not original motor and tranny.

5-90 said:
Why are you swapping tailshafts?

If you are going from 2WD to 4WD, you're going to need to get a tailshaft housing (or a transfer case adapter,) and a mainshaft. The countershaft is the same, but the mainshaft is different between 2WD and 4WD (as I recall, the 2WD mainshaft is longer.)

5-90
I found a 2WD AX-15 for cheap, I wanted to replace my 4WD AX-15. I was wondering if I could just bolt my current T-case and Tail housing to the 2WD tranny. From the sounds of it though I can't. I really want to avoid opening up the tranny. I had considered a rebuild on it, but the input shaft is probably already boogered. If I were to open the two up, how difficult is swapping the mainshaft? It sounds like total disassembly.

Back