• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front shock thoughs

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I would love to run Bilstein, but unfortunately they don't work out for me lengthwise. Yeah I could put bumpstops in there to allow me to stuff a 10" travel shock or get a shorter travel shock but that's a sacrifice either way: droop or stuff (yeah I know... lift more is another choice, but that won't happen).
Anyways, I'm trying to figure out what other good shocks are out there. I'm considering Edelbrock (well I'll know if they fit me as soon as I call them tomorrow to get the end codes for their shocks to figure which shock is which).
Rancho 9000 series I won't consider (not real fun of adjustable shocks). Same goes for Pro Comp MX6. Oh yeah... and under $100 for shock would also be good :D

Anyways somehow it looks to me like I'm out of shock choices, or is there anything else out there that's somewhat decent?

i had Rancho RS5000's, then i went with the 5150's...i'll never run another shock after using these.

mack said:
then i went with the 5150's...i'll never run another shock after using these.

X2.

BrettM said:
so what's wrong with the shorter Bilsteins?

OK. At this point I can use up all of the compression on a 15.75" compressed shock and I could use up all the droop on it too (extended 26"). At static height I got 5.5" of uptravel.
I could go theoretically with a 15.1 to 25.93 and just install bumpstops so that I could live with the shock conversion (1.1" cost means that my compressee would be 16.2" which means I'd need to figure that I want to limit it with bumpstop at 16.5"~16.75" which means 4.75"~4.5" uptravel which isn't bad).
But, I want to explore other options to make sure that there are no other options :D
edit: Actually I it looks like there is a typo in that chart: aren't both of the 10.17" travel shocks supposed to be 15.91" collapsed? Then I loose more cause with the conversion they are 17" collapsed which means with bumpstops I should be probably limiting at least at 17.25" which means that I got closer to 4" of travel...

Last edited:
Try these out.

http://www.doetsch-shocks.com

I use the HV1's, 29.5 ext 17 col with the stem top at 6.5" of lift and I hit the shock bump stop right before the tires hit the fenders.I love them. they make a lot of options with the standard stem top mount for the front. I just called them and told them my application and they custom valved them for me and I think they where about $90.00 a piece

Last edited:
If it were me Remi, I would bumpstop and limit my up travel, infavor of more droop, oh wait thats what I did. :laugh3:

Oh yeah once you go Bilstein you'll never go back :laugh2:

jrsxj98 said:
If it were me Remi, I would bumpstop and limit my up travel, infavor of more droop,
I don't understand why so many think that compression is such a disposable commodity.
I have recently decided that too much droop on short arms can be a bad thing. My RS 9000s wouldn't be bad except they are valved for the stock weight XJ; the adjustability can be rather handy but moot by the end of a tough trail. Having just made boomerangs out of my rears, I too am re-evaluating options.

TIM

jrsxj98 said:
If it were me Remi, I would bumpstop and limit my up travel, infavor of more droop, oh wait thats what I did. :laugh3:

Oh yeah once you go Bilstein you'll never go back :laugh2:
Well... I got what I think is somewhat of a nice balance now: I have about 5" up travel and about 5" downtravel. My front unloads badly enough as it is now and if I give it any more room for downtravel I'll have even bigger problems. I know: limiting strap. I'm getting there, but that's just part of the equation.

remi,

i'm running OME long travel nitros up front and edelbrock xtreme IAS in the rear...
i think i've got a PDF (maybe) still if you weren't able to get ahold of edelbrock. sounds like we're at about the same amount of lift-- are you shock mounts stock or raised?

terry

MMIXJ said:
remi,

i'm running OME long travel nitros up front and edelbrock xtreme IAS in the rear...
i think i've got a PDF (maybe) still if you weren't able to get ahold of edelbrock. sounds like we're at about the same amount of lift-- are you shock mounts stock or raised?

terry

Actually all I care about at this moment is front and it's in stock position. The rear I'm more or less happy with (Rancho RSX). Anyways I got them to fax me a rather bad copy from their catalog, so if you could email me the pdf it'd be great.
Thanks

Back