• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable ca's?

Roads

NAXJA Forum User
Going to be ordering the RE 4.5" kit and was wondering if I should exchange the fixed CA's for adjustable. Which is better to have adjustable LCA's or UCA's and why? Was also thinking about exchanging the adjustable trackbar for the HD trackbar. I have ACOS up front which will give 1"+ of lift.

I am not an expert, but I recommend the HD trac bar and both CA's to be adjustable. I do know that you gain more control to the adjustment of your alignment. I could be wrong, just my 2 cents.

I have the HD trac bar and adj UCA's and LCA's. I just installed them and still need to fine tune. I do have the drop brackets as well as the enforcement bracket for the drop bracket. the HD trac bar comes with a support brace that ties in the front really well. It's was PITA to install (Thanks Clean-RC).

Good Luck!

Roads, what are your goals for your buildup? Tire size and terrain would affect my decision on how to build another rig. I started my build with 33" tires as my goal, running trails in Moab and the Rubicon.

I would say yes to getting the adjustable arms. I upgraded both the upper and lower arms in my build up. They are good for changing axle location as well as pinion angle. Better to get them now, rather than later. The HD track bar is a definate yes. The mounting bracket is way better then using the factory frame mount. You also get a Super Flex joint as apposed to the rod end in the standard RE trackbar.

I would recommend the 5.5" short arm kit. It includes the HD track bar and mount. You also get the drop brackets and braces, which are nice if your not running long arms, even if they are a PITA to install. To run your ACOS I would swap out the front coil for the one that is an inch shorter to compensate, regardless of which lift you do get.

What I have learned, currently i'm running the 3.5" ZJ coils(about the same as a 4.5 XJ coil) with my ACOS up about 1 inch. That combined with the 4.5" leafs and shackle its about perfect for 33's. Although I am weighed down by bumpers and a winch. I originally ran without the ACOS and the 3.5" leaf and shackle and fully loaded down I felt it was a bit low. I wish I had started with the 5.5" lift as it would have saved be some $$$.

Greg

Roads,

I bought the exact kit you are getting (RE 6130) and I DID swap in the following:
HD track bar
JKS disconnects (I think RE's are not nearly as good)
Adjustable lower control arms

I ADDED:
SYE
1.5" shackles
custom driveline
4 pro comp shocks

If you are trying to cut corners and save money yet build a solid suspension I would for sure get the lower adjustable control arms and HD track bar. The rest would be optional (except most likely the need for an SYE and driveline, depending on year and degree of vibes you get)

I went with the 1.5" shackles also just to keep my ass end up a little higher in case my leaf packs sagged after a while and to keep it level when gear is loaded down.

I went with just the lower control arms because I used the money I would have spent on them for an SYE and driveline (roughly). The uppers are not as crucial, they can be fixed length. The lowers are where you can really adjust position of the axle (pinion angle, etc). Atleast that was the case on my 2001Xj. I am glad I got them because I had to lengthen them about an inch+ so my front wouldn't wander and track all weird. I would hit a bump and it would pull me into the oncoming lane or hit another bump and pull me into the ditch. After I lengthened the lowers it drove perfect.

BTW, I got the whole package (RE6130 with all the swaps, add ins, which includes the driveline for around $1250 delivered to my door)

Morgan

My thoughts are if adjusting wheel base is not critical to you, then I'd go for fixed lowers (most aftermarket manufacturers make them slightly longer than stock anyway to accomodate your lift), and adjustable uppers to dial in your caster....

Ivan said:
My thoughts are if adjusting wheel base is not critical to you, then I'd go for fixed lowers (most aftermarket manufacturers make them slightly longer than stock anyway to accomodate your lift), and adjustable uppers to dial in your caster....
x2

I run RE adj. LCAs and Nth Mob adj UCAs...well at least for another week until I go to a long arm set up.

01XJ who did you order through? If you don't mind my asking.

Roads Im in the same boat as you buddy. Adjustable upper? lower? both? or screw it and go long arm?

My goal is to run 33s and have a good on road ride as it'll be my daily driver till Im done with college (one more semester!) So with what arm set-up, other than LA would give the best on road manners I guess is my question.
I also may decide to go with 16inch wheels and metric 32s because I am afraid to tackle an axle swap by myself, having never done it before. Im in SW PA, not really a need for flex around here, just deep water crossings, hill climbs, and lots of mud. But I always thought LA would be worth it if I could afford it since its suppose to be from heaven and solve all of your on road manner problems. =Þ

Sorry if I hyjacked Roads. I just thought we were in the same boat and I got too excited cuz I wanna place my damn order already and start my build-up!
Happy Jeepin!

Andrew
(94 Sport 4.0 Auto stock other than 235's Copper Discoverer STT)

i got the 5 RE/DPG hybrid kit from dpgoffroad.com. i run 33's its an awsome kit and handles great on the road.

rstarch345 said:
Why not use control arms from Rough Country?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2010447/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2010447/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=control%20arms

Fully adjustable, no articulation limits, UCA and LCA from Rough Country costs substantially less than anyone elses and are very beefy.
Those things are similar to the Tera-flex and will suck because of the small poly bushings.

Roads said:
Going to be ordering the RE 4.5" kit and was wondering if I should exchange the fixed CA's for adjustable. Which is better to have adjustable LCA's or UCA's and why? Was also thinking about exchanging the adjustable trackbar for the HD trackbar. I have ACOS up front which will give 1"+ of lift.

Certainly get the HD trackbar, the non HD one uses a single sheer heim that tends to work loose alot. I'd also get the adjustable superflex uppers, the superide arms that come with the 6130 have rubber bushings that don't last too long.. the superflex fixed lowers it has will be fine if you don't plan on going bigger than 5.5" or so, and really once your that tall you want to add drop brackets, or it will be a very rough ride.

I'm running 7" of lift now, based off of a 6130 kit. I upgraded to superflex adjustable uppers, kept the fixed lowers (no jam nut to drag over rocks..), added drop brackets, ZJ coils (heavier spring rate, I carry alot of weight) and a spacer that I will probably replace with an ACOS later.
-c

Back