• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ujoint tail shaft dana 44

i just got my new rear end in (dana 44) out of a 88 cherokee..the yoke on this is the smaller size u-joint not sure which one and on my driveshaft i have the 1996 style u joint..its bigger... what shoud i do to fix this dilema are there multiple ways to do it? which is the cheapest which is the strongest?

ccflexj said:
i just got my new rear end in (dana 44) out of a 88 cherokee..the yoke on this is the smaller size u-joint not sure which one and on my driveshaft i have the 1996 style u joint..its bigger... what shoud i do to fix this dilema are there multiple ways to do it? which is the cheapest which is the strongest?

I was under the impression they were all the same. What rearend is in the '96?

91 Jeep Project said:
I was under the impression they were all the same. What rearend is in the '96?
You are correct. They should all be 1310 (D30, D35, d44 and 8.25) unless someone tried some custom funky yoke :D

ccflexj said:
AFAIK the only ujoint changes/differences are in the axleshafts in the D30. My 97 XJ has a D44 out of an 89 which runs the same ujoint as the original 8.25. A pair of axles I pulled out of an 86 XJ for my dad's jeep have the same yoke as well.

well i bought the jeep completley stock with a dana 35 and when i got my new drive shaft from rubicon express it fit... now it seems that when i put the new axle under my jeep it needs a smaller u joint i believe that u-joint is the 1310

ccflexj said:
well i bought the jeep completley stock with a dana 35 and when i got my new drive shaft from rubicon express it fit... now it seems that when i put the new axle under my jeep it needs a smaller u joint i believe that u-joint is the 1310
ummm clean the grease and grime from the yoke?

ccflexj said:
trust me on this there is about 1/2 of an inch to 3/4 of an inch in difference of these
1/2" to 3/4" smaller? Sounds like a really odd yoke. I'd get a new yoke and keep the driveshaft that you have (not sure if the 8.25 yoke would swap over, worth checking into)
Can you take a tape measure to the ujoint opening in the yoke and post the measurements?

Kejtar said:
1/2" to 3/4" smaller? Sounds like a really odd yoke. I'd get a new yoke and keep the driveshaft that you have (not sure if the 8.25 yoke would swap over, worth checking into)
Can you take a tape measure to the ujoint opening in the yoke and post the measurements?

i would but its in auto right now so ill do it for ya sometime tomorrow and its out of a dana 35 not 8.25

ccflexj said:
i would but its in auto right now so ill do it for ya sometime tomorrow and its out of a dana 35 not 8.25
I want the measurement of the one that seems to be smaller not the one that has the known size.

ccflexj said:
i knwo fro a fact that the axle yoke drive shaft is fine for the 96 dana 35 cause the u join on the drive shaft fit the 35 and its not a 1310
Last time I checked the Dana 35 through ALL the years was 1310. So if your driveshaft fit the Dana 35 and no custom changes were done to either, it has 1310 ujoint.

91 Jeep Project said:
The stock yoke on a Dana 35 is 1310.....
well i havea 1310 u joint that i put up to the yoke on my 35 and the u join is to small to fit.... my drive haft that i got from RE came with another u-joint..not sure what size.... and it fits into the 35 so i dont know wat to say unless RE knew myteriously somehow that i had a wierd yoke?

ccflexj said:
well i havea 1310 u joint that i put up to the yoke on my 35 and the u join is to small to fit.... my drive haft that i got from RE came with another u-joint..not sure what size.... and it fits into the 35 so i dont know wat to say unless RE knew myteriously somehow that i had a wierd yoke?
OK, take a tape measure to the D44 and measure the opening of the yoke (width for the cap) and the width from top of the cap to top of the cap (between the opposing tabs within the yoke)

ccflexj said:

Rubicon shafts come with a 1310 yoke. Unless you somehow got sent a combo 1310/1330 yoke....

Back