• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it safe to run with one rear shock?

JCwarrior88

NAXJA Forum User
When I dug into my lift kit just before the installation I found that one of my shocks was faulty. I am still waiting for RE or Jeepinoutfitters.com to email me back about getting me a new shock. I didn't feel like waiting on them so finished the installation without any rear shocks.

But my bar pin eliminators should be here tomorrow, and I would really like to get at least one shock in the rear end if I can. (I am a little sick of my head bobbing for 20 minutes after I hit a bump)

Are there any safety issues with only having one shock until I get another operational one?

JCwarrior88 said:
When I dug into my lift kit just before the installation I found that one of my shocks was faulty. I am still waiting for RE or Jeepinoutfitters.com to email me back about getting me a new shock. I didn't feel like waiting on them so finished the installation without any rear shocks.

But my bar pin eliminators should be here tomorrow, and I would really like to get at least one shock in the rear end if I can. (I am a little sick of my head bobbing for 20 minutes after I hit a bump)

Are there any safety issues with only having one shock until I get another operational one?
If you're willing to run with none, then one shouldn't be an issue for you.
At the very least you'll have poor handling charactaristics.
Won't hurt anything, though.

If it were on the front, I'd say no.

Well, I've run without a front shock, so I don't think it's all that bad. In the rear, you'll just notice a much bumpier ride. No biggy.

I drove with no rear shocks for almost a whole week after my mechanic refused to install new ones for me (I'd broken off every rear shock bolt, and one even had an easy out snapped off in one). It didn't hurt anything, but every bump made me nervous.

uvaldetxj said:
run with none, so you can pretend like you have hydraulics when you go over a speed bump.

haha Ya it was fun for the first couple of days, but now its just annoying. My rear end is constantly bouncing due to our wonderful roads here in Missouri.

JCwarrior88 said:
My rear end is constantly bouncing due to our wonderful ____________ here in Missouri.

Tim, Step away from the keyboard. Step away!

Back