• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj dosent want to start after tranny swap

opehesox

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched for about an 1 hour now, And have found the same info that i pretty much already know.

So here's the soga.... Flex plate needs replaced i pull the tranny and put the new flexplate in being careful of the CPS and taking all the proper precautions( As good as i could doing it all myself:), We'll i get it all together and try to fire it up and all it does is barely fire and die as soon as i let off the starter??? Over and over it will do this and not start. It seems that if i keep cranking after it trys to start and stumble it won't do a thing, I have to stop and then hit the starter again then it will stumble, And try but no start??

I know that the CPS has a very tight tolerence between the flexplate, and it is likely that i hit it or ran into it during pulling or installing the tranny, But my question is would it even try to start if it was damaged or would it just crank and crank and not even want to try to fire up??
I also have read that there are 2 different flexplates available for my motor, Which is something i was unaware of at the time so i didn't bother checking to see if they where the same...

Has anybody had these simptomes or does everybody else's vehical just not start at all with possible CPS problems???

Thank you in advance!

Definitely sounds like either the CPS or flexplate. If you can get a CPS that can be returned for a refund, I would try that first because it's easier. If you don't have the right flexplate it won't give the CPS the right reading and cause a no-start issue (search in the past week for a post by DavidT on this problem).

I will throw a CPS in it tommorow just to see, But my question is will it even try to stumble or anything if the CPS or flexplate is shot/wrong....
Just trying to get clues to trouble shoot whether it's the cps or flexplate...

You should never ever pull a tranny without pulling the CPS first. Did it this way yesterday and no problems at all at startup today. The FSM has a warning in bold stating never to pull the tranny without pulling the CPS first too. I read it and I followed it, :)

Are you sure you have the right flexplate? I've swapped a couple aw4's into tj's now and the first time we did it we put a renix flexplate onto an HO motor. They won't start like that.

I replaced a 4.0L in my old 88 Waggy before i sold it, i had lost one of the CPS bolts (shoulder bolts) that position the CPS exactly where it's designed to. So i tried using a regular bolt and had the same symptoms your describing.

Once i replaced the bolt with a factory one it fired right up.

My point was this...if the CPS is off even a few thousands of an inch you'll likely get a no start situation. Pull the trans and check that flywheel, replace the CPS.

If the CPS is held by 2 bolts?? what year are you talking about?? The 91 - 95 flexplate you used will not work with the 87 - 90 transmission with the 2 bolt CPS. 91 - 95 uses a 1 bolt round CPS with a tab. What year is the XJ?

Back