• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 inner axle length

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
Recently had Currie Enterprises shorten two long-side D44 front inner axle shafts. Both shafts are to be used on a high-pinion D44 housing narrowed to '80-'84 Wagoneer length. I requested the short side be cut 15.80 inches (Warn#39459) and the long side be cut to 32.12 inches (Warn # 39461). They cut the short-side to 15 26/32 (~15.813) and the long-side to 32 1/32 (~32.03).
Will these differences in length (short side ~.013 longer than spec and the long-side ~.089 shorter than spec) be a problem in a housing cut to Waggy dimensions?

xjbubba said:
Recently had Currie Enterprises shorten two long-side D44 front inner axle shafts. Both shafts are to be used on a high-pinion D44 housing narrowed to '80-'84 Wagoneer length. I requested the short side be cut 15.80 inches (Warn#39459) and the long side be cut to 32.12 inches (Warn # 39461). They cut the short-side to 15 26/32 (~15.813) and the long-side to 32 1/32 (~32.03).
Will these differences in length (short side ~.013 longer than spec and the long-side ~.089 shorter than spec) be a problem in a housing cut to Waggy dimensions?

Shouldn't be. You won't get the housing narrowed to specs closer than those tolerances anyway. There is a gap between the ends of the axle shafts in the center of the carrier, and you're looking at a VERY small difference. Currie knows what they're doing, and they have the specs, so I'd stick them in without taking another thought.

the shorter one will be fine without a doubt, and the longer one will be fine with 99.99% certainty. Goatman brings about a good point; how many thousandths is your housing off? how many thousandths variation are there between all the 80+ Waggys straight from Dana/Spicer?

don't worry about it. but if you're running junkyard shafts, why not just get some junkyard Waggys rather than shortening other ones?

Thanks for the reply, guys. The reason I had my axles shortened is because there are no sources nearby for wrecking yard Waggy axles. I had purchased a set of early Chevy axles at E-bay just for the outer stubs, so I had a set of inners long enough to shorten.

Back