• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP transmission fluid change advice!

spencer411

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so ive called a couple of places to change my transmission fluid since ive never done it before and have got 2 different options.

One place will do it for around 70 - 80 bucks. And this other place said that for 110 bucks they will COMPLETELY remove and replace ALL of the trans fluid and that other places just drain so much of it and add accordingly.

My question/s is this. Is this true and why dont these other places replace ALL of the trans fluid?

and I was also told not to go the Royal Purple route unless im pushing bigger tires. im pushin 31s right now.

any help is appreciated as I need to get an appointment ASAP and get it in the shop next week. thanks a ton.

About 100 is right. THey hook it up to a machine and try to flush out the junk. To drain it and refill is OK but not optimal (unless you already have slipping)

This shoult be in OEM tech.

spencer411 said:
Ok so ive called a couple of places to change my transmission fluid since ive never done it before and have got 2 different options.

One place will do it for around 70 - 80 bucks. And this other place said that for 110 bucks they will COMPLETELY remove and replace ALL of the trans fluid and that other places just drain so much of it and add accordingly.

My question/s is this. Is this true and why dont these other places replace ALL of the trans fluid?

and I was also told not to go the Royal Purple route unless im pushing bigger tires. im pushin 31s right now.

any help is appreciated as I need to get an appointment ASAP and get it in the shop next week. thanks a ton.

Automatic or stick shift?? If automatic stick specifically to what the manual says to pour into it or you might encounter some weird shifting issues (or so I hear... I got a stick). If you have a stick shift, search the forums on the gl3/gl5 issue and consider paying extra $ for the dealer gl3 manual tranny fluid (that's for an AX15, if you you have the nv3550 then you need some altogether different fluid).

cracker said:
About 100 is right. THey hook it up to a machine and try to flush out the junk. To drain it and refill is OK but not optimal (unless you already have slipping)

This shoult be in OEM tech.

thanks and yeah I thought this was the wrong spot to post but this is the only forum I really go to here.

ill start following rules now...

There are 3 things we do at work.

1. Drain fluid, remove pan, replace filter, clean pan, add new gasket, reinstall, add fluid accordingly. Thats only replacing some of the fluid.

2. Hook up a tranny flush machine, which connects to the cooler lines, uses the pressure from the pump in the tranny, and when the pressure on the 2 gauges have a difference of 30psi or so, it is done. That is the way to replace all the fluid.

3. Do both one and two, change filter and do flush. Also depends on mileage.

I would ask the shop how they replace all the fluid, because in reality, not all of its going to get replaced. If its just drain and fill, and no filter, its not worth it.

Kejtar said:
Automatic or stick shift?? If automatic stick specifically to what the manual says to pour into it or you might encounter some weird shifting issues (or so I hear... I got a stick). If you have a stick shift, search the forums on the gl3/gl5 issue and consider paying extra $ for the dealer gl3 manual tranny fluid (that's for an AX15, if you you have the nv3550 then you need some altogether different fluid).

its an auto

and I thought lots of jeep/truck owners swore by Royal Purple... ?

spencer411 said:
its an auto

and I thought lots of jeep/truck owners swore by Royal Purple... ?
depends where... I know a lot run royal purple in the ax15, but from what I remember hearing, anything but what the book says in the aw4 causes some weirdness: from dropped fuel efficiency to odd shifting... Search in OEM forum should bring up more info on that.

AW4 use only what the manual says as far as fluid (NO SYNTHETICS). Use the flushing machine. That is what was in mind with the 100k filter service. Which is more or less just a screen for big chuncks.

spencer411 said:
im goin to go ahead and have the full flush done and stear clear of the Royal Purple.
Just make sure they use Dexron-!! or -III to refill it. Too many places, especially dealers, will screw that up and use Crysler ATF because they think the Jeep uses a Chrysler tranny... They don't look at what the tranny plug itself tells them:

aw4_drain.jpg

If your going to get a tranny flush be sure the shop will also instal a new filter afterwards. Some shops will just flush the system and put fresh fluid in without replacing the filter. That means your forcing your old fluid plus new contaminents that just got released from the flush through an already shot filter. BTW I did mine two weeks ago by myself and only cost about $35 for a filter gasket and 5 quarts of fluid and couple hours of work. Although it wasn't a flush it's just as good if not better. I say better because I don't like the idea of all the new contaminents going through my tranny. Thats just my paranoia.

Last edited:
Roads said:
If your going to get a tranny flush be sure the shop will also instal a new filter afterwards. Some shops will just flush the system and put fresh fluid in without replacing the filter. That means your forcing your old fluid plus new contaminents that just got released from the flush through an already shot filter.

This filter in the AW4 is only wire mesh.It does not catch and hold like an oil filter.It only keeps the big chunks out.If this is the first change in 100 K then it may be wise to change the filter but if maintained reguraly(sp) dont mess wit the filter/screen.
Wayne

I just spent $100 on fluid and a filter at the dealership and did it myself. Looking back I should have paid them to do it, it was a huge PITA. I think a drain and filter should be sufficiant enough. My old fluid came out black with the viscosity of water at 176K.

Not to hijack ths thread but I have just under 216k on my '92 AW4 and I can't remember ever changing the fluid. "They" say if you have this high a mileage and have never changed the fluid, LEAVE IT ALONE and DON'T TOUCH IT! Do "they" know what they are talking about? Opinions???? BTW, it doesn't smell burnt, doesn't ever slip, and I only occasionally tow a utility trailer (lumber frome Home Depot, mulch, etc).

Ok I used to work at a tranny shop and this is what my experience is, if its a ford or newer gm over 100,000 miles don't change the fluid. Now i know a lot of guys will ask why, well i can tell you. Tranny fluid cleans dirt and grease really well if you don't belive that try putting tranny fluid on your greasy hands some time. When a tranny gets old and lots of miles not much keeps the clutch material on the bands and clutches. When you put new fluid in its like you ran mild degreaser though it and any loose stuff comes off. This causes a two part problem. Not only do you loose clutch material and cause it to slip but you get all that crap supended in the fluid and it will clog the valve body. It doesn't take much. Our autos are really good trannys and might be ok but I still would not change it after 125,000 miles. If you do you are running a risk on having to have the tranny rebuilt.

Yucca-Man said:
Just make sure they use Dexron-!! or -III to refill it. Too many places, especially dealers, will screw that up and use Crysler ATF because they think the Jeep uses a Chrysler tranny... They don't look at what the tranny plug itself tells them:

aw4_drain.jpg

my owners manual says to use any of the these 3. Mopar ATF, Dextron II, or Mercon.

the place im ending up takin it is a Jeep only joint so im sure they know the deal.

im only at 42,000 so I dont think ill need the complete flush.

thanks alot everyone. this place has helped once again.

some guys do a simple drain and fill, start the jeep and run through every gear on the shifter, and then do another drain and fill and usually that cleans most of the old fluid out

this is a good deal cheaper than letting a shop use a machine on your tranny, and does basically the same thing............

Back