• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 XJ Laredo Rear Diff ID

JT_Law

NAXJA Forum User
Ok,
On the 90 Cherokee Laredo 4dr
I can see no tags on it.
Looking at it from the rear.
10 bolts
Passenger side scoops in towards front about 1-2" deep along a vertical line aprox midpoint.

In that recess is a rubber plug.

Axle tubes each have what looks like a 1" dia. plug of some sort just outward from the pumpkin

1990 4 liter auto with 242 (2H, 4Part, 4Full, N, 4Lo) case, possibly tow packaged, has a condenser in front of radiator that is 1/2 as thick, but H & W are same as radiator (4 core hd).

Need to figure out what it is so I can order in the lift.
Thanks

90diff0011ai.jpg

90diff0024ls.jpg

90diff0032tz.jpg

While I'd suggest you confirm it (go to a parts house, get a gasket for a Dana 35 and a ChryCo 8.25", and match up the bolt heads,) I'm inclined to say that that's a Dana 35 you're showing us.

Note the oval shape of the axle cover - if it were a ChryCo 8.25", it would be more hexagonal with a flat bottom.

Also, I'm noting the tag (on the right side) that looks a lot like the build tags I've gotten off all my Dana axles. I'm not so sure about ChryCo axles (all my XJ's are AMC-spec,) but I am sure about Dana axle tags, and that looks a lot like one.

The "rubber plug" threw me, tho - that's common on ChryCo axles. Are there threads in the hole when you pull out the plug? If there are, you can replace the rubber bung plug with a brass 1/2" NPT plug, and not worry about the damn thing leaking. Why brass? It doesn't seize in the hole (I've done it on all my XJ's.)

Also, the fact that yours is a 1990 (and therefore the last year of AMC-spec) argues in favour of it being a Dana 35 and not a ChryCo.

Sorry this is so long - but I've got a habit of explaining HOW I came to a decision, instead of just deciding...

5-90

Thank you much!
Appreciate the extra info, makes an answer more comfortable to go with. 'tween this and the consensus on ROR and Timber I'm thinkin 35.

Again TY

Yup, that's most definitely a D35 - thanks for the props Dragline.

Back