• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

show detailed pics of your LA setup

stupidfast

NAXJA Forum User
im building my own long arm front end for my MJ, and i would like people to post pics of their setups so i can get even a better idea of things. homemade or off the shelf. the more i research, the more i realize how simple it can be. (i have ruled out going the Ford radius arm route)

Basicly, its one long arm that is jointed at the bottom of the axle and then jointed farther back (than lca stock mount) on the unirail. branching off that long arm is the uca, and then attatches at the same location as the lca but above the axle. the uca has joints at each end and adjustable at 1 end (well at least mine will be adjustable). so that adjusts the pinion angle and castor (angle of knuckles off perpendicular to ground..right?). so basically, disregarding any specific measurments, is that it?

is it pointless to use more flexible joints/bushings on the uca? is the uca even effected by the cycling of the suspension? or is its only function to keep the axle tubes stationary (and adjusting angles)?

thanks for all your input. it will all be put to use on my MJ

Just got mine bolted in and finished yesterday, with a few changes from the 'traditional' XJ longarm setup. I'm gonna try and get pics tomorrow. Anything in particular you'd like to see?

They may be old news,but still work great.
My long arms

well first off, i did search, but you cant find anyone that has pics of their long arms or a thread on instaling them or making them. so i had to ask... and besides, you try searching on a tired old dial up modem. blows nuts.

the pics id like to see are just shots of them in your rig. thats all i need. especialy where the uca branches off and to the axle.

is it pointless to use more flexible joints/bushings on the uca? is the uca even effected by the cycling of the suspension? or is its only function to keep the axle tubes stationary (and adjusting angles)?

What's your time frame in doing this project?

If you've got a few weeks, I might be able to make you a really good deal on used Full-Traction LCA's, UCA's and brackets for the front.

Oh, here are some pics...

CAasslider.jpg

CAmountwslider.jpg

UCAandLCA.jpg

Last edited:
You mention having the attachment points for the uppers right above the lowers? Don't think this is how it is done in most setups.
The factory brackets for the uppers are inboard of the lower mounts.

I would use Johny joints. I have bushings on mine and tend to go through them pretty quick.

If you are using a single upper, you must not use a flexible material in this member. all the torque control is focused here and requires a very solid joint. Use an RE or Joihnny joint, or a heim. Retrofit the UCA mount on the axle to accept a small RE joint as well.

Nemo, thoes look so much more simpler than a radius arm style setup. how well do thoes work? just as well? how much would you offer thoes for (pm me)? my time frame is.. well.. lets just say i didnt expect to get this done untill spring.. but i could buy them off you when the time for you is good. i still need to buy and swap in an ax15 and repair up the rust holes in my bare and empty cab
do you have any pics of where they mount on the axle side?

thanks crash for pointing that out, and as ppl started showing pics i saw that the uppers dont attach just above the lowers. that makes it more complicated when making it all myself.. thats why thoes full traction LAs are more appealing to me. any feedback from anyone on thoes?

stupidfast said:
Nemo, thoes look so much more simpler than a radius arm style setup. how well do thoes work? just as well? how much would you offer thoes for (pm me)? my time frame is.. well.. lets just say i didnt expect to get this done untill spring.. but i could buy them off you when the time for you is good. i still need to buy and swap in an ax15 and repair up the rust holes in my bare and empty cab
do you have any pics of where they mount on the axle side?

thanks crash for pointing that out, and as ppl started showing pics i saw that the uppers dont attach just above the lowers. that makes it more complicated when making it all myself.. thats why thoes full traction LAs are more appealing to me. any feedback from anyone on thoes?
Radius arms "are" the easiest to build,Nemo's pics show why he wants to get rid of them,plus this:http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71018

So Eric, why do you want to get rid of the Full Traction stuff?
My guess is this picture shows why...
CAmountwslider.jpg

;)

Jes said:
My guess is this picture shows why...
CAmountwslider.jpg

;)

Well, between that pic and guys yelling "longarms!" while I'm stuck on a rock down at JV convinced me that I need to look into other alternatives.

Jes said:
My guess is this picture shows why...;)
I thought this one said it better!
CAasslider.jpg

Last edited:
The URF kit bolts on!

Back