• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I never really knew!

BSD

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished taking off my CPS on my 89 XJ. Like the toy box your child gets at Christmas that says "some assembly required." Like Bush senior's "Read my lips, no new taxes." Like my wife telling me "I will be just a minute" as I wait in the living room. The folks who wrote that getting to the bolts on the CPS was "a pain in the neck" are guilty of an inability to be entirely honest.
Comperatively speaking, "a pain in the neck" is watching my wife birth our youngest son who came into the world at 12 lb.s 8 oz. The removing of the bolts on the CPS is something that should be reserved for those condemned to the deepest reaches of Dante's Hell.
It looked like a socket extension orgy under the Jeep. It sounded like a meeting of drunk sailors with Turret's syndrom. It felt like I had just invented a new exercise that made Pilates and Yoga look tame.
Here is the kicker. I only took it out. I think that might have been the easy part!
BSD

BSD said:
I only took it out. I think that might have been the easy part!
BSD

dont drop the bolts into the bellhousing... did that once...

nice poem by the way...

I didnt find it all that bad... took me 10 minutes to take out with a 3' extension and a swivel..

Don't worry...

You'll get better at it...

:D

Ranger's right tho...

Once you've done it a few times in a year...

You can do it in the dark!

I stuff a rag in the bellhousing aperture to keep the bolts from falling in there.

btw...

carry a spare!

Check around, and try to find my post with a picture on how to notch the CPS bracket. Why? You won't have to pull the bolts out anymore - just loosen them a bit.

I know you open the lower hole directly toward the end of the bracket, and the upper hole straight "down" (as mounted,) but I don't have a pic handy to show you. I know I posted it here, so that's half the trouble gone to.

How do you notch the bracket? With a Dremel and a cut-off wheel.

How long does it take to change "notched" CPS units? About 10 minutes. The only "extra" thing you'll need is a long, heavy something (I have an 18" brass rod for this) that you can rest on the back of the sensor while you fiddle with tightening the bolts underneath.

5-90

Don't worry, it can get worse :wave:

I remember the first time I did a CPS... Six extra joints in my arm and fingers would've been rockin'.

Now I just get it from underneth with about 26" of extension and a wobble.

Lawn Cher' said:
I haven't yet had the pleasure.

SHAZAMM!!!

You have now attracted the attention of the Ghost in the Machine.

Same one that played with your lighting...

Lawn Cher' said:
I haven't yet had the pleasure.

OH BOY, you're in for it now.... just like holding on to a steel flag pole in a lightning storm....

My people would call that a kineahora. I shoulda known betta.

Such a chochem I am, a real mayven. Enough with this mishegas.

Oy vey, I'll have to fix this ongepatcheket Jeep, nothing but tsures I get from it... I need this chazeray like a hole in the head... Nisht do gedachet!

Last edited:
Mark, my CPS in the 89 needs to be changed, can I fly you out to do it?

Geepfreak said:

If you don't mind my learning curve, sure!

Lawn Cher' said:
If you don't mind my learning curve, sure!

No worries.. Got the couch moved into the shop, and keeping at a nice 65 Deg. in there.... Ha, even got the water working to the toilet, so you have all the time you need..

Geepfreak said:

might be able to con me into driving to Kansas...

try pulling the distributor from a 5.2/5.9 grand and then get back to me (after you break the oil pressure sending unit off). The CPS is a cakewalk in comparison.

SeanP

Gil BullyKatz said:
Once you've done it a few times in a year...

You can do it in the dark!
Well of course you can do it in the dark - you can't see the friggin' thing anyway so it's all done by feel. (We are still talking about the CPS, right?)

If we are, I find that dropping the t-case crossmember a few inches makes it MUCH easier to actually access the CPS.

Jim

I just reached in from the top down under the intake manifold.

I had it off and back on in less than 10 minutes with a box end wrench.

Puzzies!

:wave:

Back