• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Garage Floor Covering

jeepcherokeethng

NAXJA Forum User
Im wanting to cover my garage floor with some kind of coating, but not sure what to use. Im thinking the roll on epoxy with the flakes. But would yall reccomend any brand. Does Lowes carry it? Thanks for any input.

Pratt and Lambertt epoxy floor paint. You will need a gallon of epoxy and a gallon of hardner, about $80 each as I remember.

Lowes - Nope
Home Depot - Nope
Ace - Nope

You will need to go to a real paint store that sell P&L.

I have done both my garages with it...the only thing that touches it is brake fluid....an only if you leave it puddle for a while.

Rev

Have you considered carpeting your garage instead? It's not as crazy as it sounds. The local GAP clothing store at our mall installed some new carpeting a while back. While they were installing the new carpeting, I asked the carpet layers if I could have some of the old stuff they removed, which was in pretty decent shape. Nice low pile commercial grade stuff. They said take all I want. :)

I got enough carpeting to do my entire garage, as well as enough for two other garages belonging to friends of mine. Sure is nice laying on carpeting while tinkering with the XJ instead of a cold concrete slab.

Check your local carpet stores...they will be glad to give you any old removed stuff.

Depends on how nice the garage is, I've always been partial to italian marble myself...my second choice would be hard non-slip 12"x12" ceramic tiles interspaced with some nice design work using 4" tiles and some smaller stuff to inlay a nice jeep grill or two type design in the floor.
As for the roll on epoxy, I've never had any long term luck with the stuff including some industrial grade made for automotive repair shops, I still end up helping to re-etch it and roll it out every year..

I used a sherwin williams product on mine and it has been great so far.

Name was something like ameroseal or amercoat. But it is in the industrial line. 1 gal to 1 gal mix. Around 65/70 dollars per gal.

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
I used a sherwin williams product on mine and it has been great so far.

Name was something like ameroseal or amercoat. But it is in the industrial line. 1 gal to 1 gal mix. Around 65/70 dollars per gal.

hinkley

Jinkleberry is right.
Spent 10 years in the commercial/residential painting industry and I've layed down 1,000's of gals of various epoxies on walls, lids and floors. Sherwin Williams products are awesome and Tileclad II is my epoxy of choice for garages and corridors with moderate foot and vehicle traffic (passenger cars/SUV's) and Armorseal for the industrial areas with forklift and heavy rig traffic like semi-truck wash bays and airplane hangers, auto shops with constant petroleum product spillage.

I never had a Tileclad job pop off the concrete when properly prepped.....key is, if the concrete is not clean and acid etched so the epoxy can penetrate and adhere, nothing will stick to it long term. I've seen other folks cheaper polyurethane floor paints pop off the floor in sheets due the chemical release and heat/pressure from tires.

REMEMBER! The key to any quality, long lasting paint job is proper prep. Short cut the prep and you'll create a ugly mess that may wind up costing several times more than the original cost to fix. Did I mention.....don't shortcut the prep?
Especially with catylized epoxies that cost $70+ per gallon.... and you definitely get what you pay for.

Here's a great thread with some very helpful tips on products, surface prep, etc.
http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread/t-56567.html

jeepcherokeethng said:
Im wanting to cover my garage floor with some kind of coating, but not sure what to use. Im thinking the roll on epoxy with the flakes. But would yall reccomend any brand. Does Lowes carry it? Thanks for any input.
Make sure to etch the concrete first, no matter what anyone tells you.:lecture:

Bent said:
Make sure to etch the concrete first, no matter what anyone tells you.:lecture:

Exactly, however when using acid more is not better. mix it right, it does not take much to do the job. Using to strong of a mix can be more of a problem than good.

hinkley

we have the sherwin williams epoxy on the floor at the fire house where i work at, and have had nothing but trouble and it was put down by pros. the newest thing is oil or some kinda liquid is seeping up through the concrete and creating bubbles in the coating then they pop and the crap goes every where. and now you can peel up the sections of the coating. just a little extra info for ya. oh the pros even ground the concrete to give it a textured serface to stick to and then put down a sealant to stop such a thing fron happening.

mylt1 said:
the newest thing is oil or some kinda liquid is seeping up through the concrete

That would be a problem, it has been stated before...but I will again...PREP PREP PREP.

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS

NOTHING will stick to concrete with a seepage issue.

Rev

i know, but the contractor ground down the concrete and then put down what was spose to be a sealant to prevent anything from seeping up through the floor.

mylt1 said:
i know, but the contractor ground down the concrete and then put down what was spose to be a sealant to prevent anything from seeping up through the floor.

Wonder if he disposed of the unused paint and paint cans before the poured the garage floor, seen that happen before.
On my poured cellar walls and floor I used that clear sealer that comes in 5gallon jugs and goes on with a hand pump sprayer, did like 4 coats a day so between each. Seems to work pretty well, spill or pour something on the floor and it just stays up and does not soak in.

mylt1 said:
we have the sherwin williams epoxy on the floor at the fire house where i work at, and have had nothing but trouble and it was put down by pros. the newest thing is oil or some kinda liquid is seeping up through the concrete and creating bubbles in the coating then they pop and the crap goes every where. and now you can peel up the sections of the coating. just a little extra info for ya. oh the pros even ground the concrete to give it a textured serface to stick to and then put down a sealant to stop such a thing fron happening.

Doesn't sound like a product failure issue, which can happen. SW and other vendors have chemist who investigate this type of failure, if it is product related then they are liable to replace the product and labor to apply......BUT, is the surface wasn't prepped to manuf. specs, or there are construction or surface issues that contribute to the failure.......you own it.

Just curious, how old was the concrete that the epoxy was applied on, and had there been any use (parked trucks in, washed rigs, spillage of fluids, etc.) prior to the floor being prepped and sealed?

fire house was built in the 60's. it is starting to look like the installer is gonna be to blame according to the manufacturer. they didnt put down the right sealer.

I have had the epoxy floors and they were nice, but I think I like the roll out mat that covers the whole floor.

Back