• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So should this take care of my steering noises?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have some steering noises, sort of like a pop, sometimes when turning. 1996 XJ, RE 5.5" LA kit, Truxs 33s.

I read the write up on a set of plates that weld onto my ARB bumper brackets and go back to support the steering box, etc. Here's the write up and contact info for the guy who makes the plates: http://home.comcast.net/~xjmatt/steering/steering.htm

I ordered up a set of these, although little on the steep side, $90 shipped.

One of the noises seems to be coming from the steering shaft, so I went ahead and ordered this: http://www.borgeson.com/Merchant2/m...ore_Code=BUOS&Product_Code=893&Category_Code=

A heavy duty steering shaft upgrade made by Borgeson Universal.

What I am still debating is whether or not I should upgrade, replace, or leave alone, the steering box. My Jeep has about 82k miles, so it can't be THAT worn. My steering generally feels tight, but a reputable shop told me that my steering box some play in it, and will probably need to be replaced. The shop I will see some looseness and more play in my steering relatively soon. So I figure while they're in there, they may as well replace the steering box too. Are there any *good* upgrades? What is the best reman?

If I upgrade or replace the steering box, I want to ensure that it will fit my new steering shaft. This is why I'm hesitant to look into the Durango or S10 boxes.

I was also looking into a MORE steering brace. Is it going to make a difference or help me out at all, especially with the above upgrades?

Yes, I have been searching.

check the track bar Tie Rod end - mine pops becuase it is worn out...

When my steering was popping, it was also at the trackbar. The frame side bracket (I run the HD style w/o a TRE) had come loose and was shifting. Check that before you go nuts with the steering box.

I've had the track bar tightened about 5 different times now.. no way is it getting any tighter. I also have a track bar brace.

Any suggestions on a good steering box?

Back