• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a Wells TPS decent quality?

96 Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Had to replace my TPS today and the Jeep dealer did not have one. Picked up a Wells brand TPS at Autozone. A search on Wells TPS yielded only 4 threads and no one said one way or the other on any of those threads.
BTW, my '96 Cherokee takes a '97 TPS. Found out the hard way that a TPS for a '96 does not fit.

My wells TPS never gave me the right voltage. And I could not return it. So I lost my 30 bucks. I bought one from Advance (GP sorenson) and all is good. I am done with Autozone. I won't buy another part from them. I have had nothing but bad luck from them.

BA

BAs96XJ said:
My wells TPS never gave me the right voltage. And I could not return it. So I lost my 30 bucks. I bought one from Advance (GP sorenson) and all is good. I am done with Autozone. I won't buy another part from them. I have had nothing but bad luck from them.

BA

Bummer. I paid $60.00 for mine. They did say electronic parts were not returnable after they were installed. Thanks.

I've yet to have a problem with my Autozone one. I believe it was a Wells. Been 4 years (?) now with no headaches. Still crossing my fingers.

dizzymac said:
Damn...I paid $80+ for mine at NAPA....but no probs. with it.

That's odd. Dealer price was $77.?? plus sales tax. Napa parts are usually priced less than Chrylser. The TPS for a '96 that Napa ordered in for me was only around $36.00.

BAs96XJ said:

BA
I also had trouble with a wells, brought back and tried a second, still had a problem. Bought one from Jeep and havn't had a TPS problem since. Same thing happended with a MAP sensor, so I don't bother any more with that brand.

96 Cherokee said:
The answer to both your questions is no, NO, and HELL NO! So what are you saying ? :)
Im saying you can get a lesser quality part to function. I.E. hungry and cant afford a steak eat bologna sandwiches/ not hungry anymore right? Like german junk cant afford a mercedes? Get a v.w. gets you to work dont it? sometimes they work sometimes they dont do they last as long as a quality part? doubtful...........

majic_tech said:
Im saying you can get a lesser quality part to function. I.E. hungry and cant afford a steak eat bologna sandwiches/ not hungry anymore right? Like german junk cant afford a mercedes? Get a v.w. gets you to work dont it? sometimes they work sometimes they dont do they last as long as a quality part? doubtful...........

I was being facetious, (see the smiley), but thanks for the explanation. From almost all the answers on this thread, the general opinion is Wells is at at the bottom of the "quality" list. Thanks for all the replies. So far, the Wells seems to be working OK, but I'll not be surprised if I have to replace it again......

Things usually work out that way, by a vw and over time it will eat you out of house and home with little expensive stuff. The MB, last longer, no little stuff but BOY OH BOY when somehting does break it makes up for the little stuff.
Friend of mine has a MB SLK, little hardtop convert, the hydraulic ram that operates the top went, 16 hours or real labor to remove and reinstall that puppy, all the way at the bottom of the trunk behind the seats, had to almost gut the car to get it out and put the new one in. Luckily it was under warranty or it would have been like a $7000 repair bill for an $800 part...needless to say he extended the bumper to bumper warranty.

Back