• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody remove the '96> Sport red/black decal trim?

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
My beautiful Citron green 96 Sport has that red sticker trim stripe in the middle of a wide black sticker/trim stripe on it. I know all Sports came with this. Anybody take this off? I'm tempted, I just don't want to take the paint off with it- if there is paint under there- ?

took it off my 95 and yes there is paint under it... It's held on with double sided tape.. what residue was left on there I removed with goo gone, PB blaster works pretty well too...

The rubber pieces on the roof of my '95 were just held on with double-sided tape. They came of really easily. Didn't even leave any tape on the roof, just cleaner, brighter patches of red, lol. I'm not sure, but I would imagine it'd be much the same for yours.

i took the panels off my 96 sport and i like much better now. I forgot what I used to remove the tape residue though

Yeah, it's just held on with double sided tape, the driver side trim on my 94 was falling off on it's own, and it took little to no effort to pull it off. The lower portion of the door is painted, but there's a wide strip of black plastic trim tape that starts at the upper crease in the door sheetmetal and ends under the rubber strip. When you pull off the rubber strip, you'll see what I mean. I used a heat gun on a low setting on a hot summer day to soften the adhesive and slowly peel it off. If you're careful you can get the plastic and adhesive off all at once, but if it leaves some residue just use some 3M decal adhesive remover. On a side note the small area on both rear panels just in front of the fender flare is not painted black but simply covered with that black trim tape. I trimmed that with a utility knife so it would match the painted portion. I have a couple pics on my page after I did it so you can see what it looks like.http://community.webshots.com/album/90597737rskMbO

OK dude go to an auto paint and boby supply type joint and ask then for an eraser they work bitchen and wont damage the paint .You use them in a drill and its scary as hell till you get used to it but they work very well and darn fast ( they call them that because they are made of almost the same thing and they leave dust like one)a.k.a. pinstrip remover,decal remover.....

I don't know if it's the same thing but the stripes and Sport logo on my 92 were just vinyl decals. Used a heat gun and they pulled right off. No mess

Would a heat gun work for removing all the 'Cherokee Chief' decals from my 87? I'm going to repaint it soon and need to remove all the black decals... What would work best in this case? Heat gun, adhesive spray remover, or the drill insert mentioned? Or anything else...

IRT the trim pieces, x..7(?) just pull it off and use the drill eraser. just did it the other day ('96 XJ sport 2-door)

IRT the decals, same basic thing. pull up as much as you can get it started w/ a razor blade and pull just shy of 90* to the body. clean up any residue/remaining decal with the drill eraser. did it with my '91 XJ sport a few years ago, and its impossible to tell anyhting was there after a good paint job.

I never tried the drill eraser, but as I said in that earlier post, I had great luck with a heat gun on low setting, and some patience. The decal remover didn't do much at all, however it was useful for removing leftover adhesive after pulling the decal itself off. I avoided using metal scrapers and razor blades, but if you're going to repaint the whole thing, I don't suppose you'd have to be that careful.

If you are throwing it away, im looking for a red/black piece for the rear passenger side door (4 door). Please let me know if you are parting with it

Thanks

That figures, I had kept mine since I stripped it off until I moved into a new house last fall. Then I chucked it all. Sorry man. :dunno:

Back