• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bosch OEM or Universal Oxygen Sensor?

BSD

NAXJA Forum User
Well got up this morning and the XJ would not start. The CPS had been giving me some trouble and I had been getting by so I am going to change it. I thought I would also change the oxygen sensor while I was at it. Checked the parts store and they have both a OEM and a Universal one from Bosch; 65 vs 20 dollars. Has anyone used the universal one? Any thoughts or preferences?
BSD

I use oem whenever I can. If you've got the extra cash that's the best route.

The universal requires splicing/modificiation of wires and the Bosch does not. I just did the Bosch in about 10 minutes last week. Think I paid $50 at AutoZone.

Greg

I just replaced mine with Bosch and it fit and worked with no issues. It's an important monitor of your mixture level so I'd recommend going with a good one.

I've used both in the past, and even the universal one worked just fine. The only draw back, like mentioned above, is you have to cut and splice the wire to use universal one.

Just to let you know, I had several Bosches on my 96 trip a check engine. Went to dealer and they said the system is very sensitive. Bought a dealer O2, and no trouble since. Also it was cheaper than the Bosch.

BSD said:
Well got up this morning and the XJ would not start. The CPS had been giving me some trouble and I had been getting by so I am going to change it. I thought I would also change the oxygen sensor while I was at it. Checked the parts store and they have both a OEM and a Universal one from Bosch; 65 vs 20 dollars. Has anyone used the universal one? Any thoughts or preferences?
BSD

When I checked, the only one they listed for my 99 was the universal... It plugged right in... If they have them in stock.. take a look at the connectors first..

Bosch has had some quality control issues over the past few years, so I've been using AC Delco oxygen sensors. They aren't made by AC, but they work very well and cost about the same as Bosch sensors.

Bosch, Mopar, or universal doesn't matter. Quality built, waranty, fit, conectors, Heated or not IS IMPORTATANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erm, what year?

The reason I ask is that RENIX HEGO sensors are different from OBD-I/II HEGO sensors - and the "universal" won't work for RENIX.

The RENIX (1987-1990 4.0 and maybe 2.5) is a "variable resistance" unit that varies its resistance with the oxygen content of the exhaust. This resistance works to divide a reference voltage signal in the ECM to report on AFR.

The OBD units are a "voltage generating" type (1991-up,) which generate a known variable voltage in response to exhaust gas oxygen contant/AFR. This voltage is read by the ECM in order to make adjustments.

The "universal" will work for the OBD-I/II systems, but not the RENIX. At least, it didn't work for me...

Just to let you know.

5-90

5-90
good question. It is an 88. Renix. You have me concerned. I picked up a universal but have not put it in. I might go back and change it for an OEM if this is the case. They did list both for the same year.
BSD

Yep - I found out by research.

The typical HEGO sensor is a "voltage generating" type, set up to generate a voltage between either 0-5VDC or 0-1VDC, with "ideal" AFR running at midrange.

The RENIX HEGO sensor takes the 5VDC "reference" signal in the ECM, and acts as a voltage divider (look it up if you're curious - <"voltage divider" +resistor> should work) to handle the signal.

If you haven't installed the "universal" yet, I'd take it back and get the OEM. Cheap peace of mind, even at $65 for the unit. A failed HEGO sensor can cost you more than that in fuel pretty quickly.

5-90

For what its worth, I replace both sensors recently in my 1998 XJ. Both the old ones from the Jeep and the new ones from the dealer were NTK sensors (NGK sensor brand).

Steve in Alabama

Back