• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella H4 Conversion?

00Classic

NAXJA Forum User
This may not be the correct forum for this questions but is anyone using the Hella H4 headlight conversion kit and are they worth the money? Or any other H4 coversion kit.

Mod tech? Yeah, you're in the right place.

I've switched two of my XJ's over - I put Hella Vision Plus conversion on my 89 Limited (55/80 H4 bulbs, no wiring changes,) and Hella E-codes on my 88 (90/130 H4 bulbs, with a homebrew wiring harness.)

The Vision Plus or E-code conversion is good for the money - and Susquehanna Motorsports is the place to go for good pricing.

The Vision Plus gives a slightly sharper low beam cutoff and a fuller high beam, and you keep both of those since you keep the reflector and the lense (which is cut, rather than moulded.) The E-code gives a MUCH sharper low beam cutoff and a fuller full beam, and is complemented well by a high-powered bulb. DO NOT get these if your local cops have nothing better to do - I don't know what the ticket will run you, but not having "DOT" in your lights is worth at least a "Fix-It."

I have found that the Vision Plus works well with lighting at or near OEMR levels (55/65 is OEM, and I'm running 55/80W,) and the OEMR wiring and switch will handle up to 80W comfortably. The E-code works best with bright bulbs - the brighter the better. I used to run the 55/80 bulbs in my E-codes until I switched them to my VP's and got the 90/130.

If you are going to go past 75-80W peak power, you really should upgrade yourheadlamp wiring - I can give you some pointers for that if you aren't going to go with one of the aftermarket suppliers (I haven't had a chance to prototype my headlamp harness yet.) I've found it fairly easy to do - you'll want to run directly to the battery through relays, and use the signals from the factory wiring to "trip" the relays.

Any questions?

5-90

I was considering doing an H4 conversion but then began to think about how many cars i have seen with headlamp housings that were less than clear from dirt, water, etc getting inside of them. Instead I put some of the siverstar sealed beam lights in mine and beefed up the wiring harness with 30 amp relays and 10 gauge wires, and they are very bright. They seemed to be brighter than one of my friend's XJ's that had the IPF H4 conversion with the IPF bulbs. And the good part about sticking with the sealed beam is that any time you need to replace the bulbs, you get a new housing too.

I have yet to clean out the Hella housings - but if I do, they're cut glass and stainless steel, and can probably go thru the dishwasher.

I have had to wash the outside/face (bugs,) but that wasn't so bad.

Given the amount of time I've spent polishing cheaper/OEMR plastic lenses, I'll take the Hellas. For a mass-production article, very well done.

5-90

wow so you can run the silverstar sealed lamps with an upgraded harness?
hmmm something to consider for sure.....
I was going to go with the IPF H4 or the Hella conversion And i recently found these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=8015188646&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

But since i got a pair of really crappy [not daimond cut] conversion lamps off of ebay before i thought i might not go that route..
I did also purchase the bigoffroad harness that he sells:
http://www.bigoffroad.com/vendors/bigoffroad/index.htm

and it helped a little [ it is a very nice harness worht every penny] but crappy lamps, crappy bulbs... lameness

I might consider the silverstar route.. well see

aaron

Not sure about the other conversiopns or even the newer Hellas but my 4-5 year old set has vent/drain holes that allow water/mud to get inside the housing. Its not too hard to clean out but annoying none the less. Just something to look out for.

we run IPF e-codes in both our Jeeps and haven't had any trouble with debris getting inside the lamps, and we've had them a few years. Upgrading the wiring harness can make a significant difference, and that's probably why 1990XJ4x4's Silverstars appear to be brighter than his buddy's IPF's (I'm assuming his buddy is not running an upgraded harness).

To help illustrate the difference btwn regular OEM halogen lights and a good aftermarket setup, check out these pics from my IPF headlight install write-up. IPF e-code housings w/ARB harness and IPF Magic-J bulbs on the left. OEM 55W (most stock headlights are 35W) high-output sealed beam halogens on the right. Both vehicles are XJ's, sitting side by side.

Low beams.
ipf7.jpg

High Beams.
ipf8.jpg

Jeepin Jason said:
we run IPF e-codes in both our Jeeps and haven't had any trouble with debris getting inside the lamps, and we've had them a few years. Upgrading the wiring harness can make a significant difference, and that's probably why 1990XJ4x4's Silverstars appear to be brighter than his buddy's IPF's (I'm assuming his buddy is not running an upgraded harness).

To help illustrate the difference btwn regular OEM halogen lights and a good aftermarket setup, check out these pics from my IPF headlight install write-up. IPF e-code housings w/ARB harness and IPF Magic-J bulbs on the left. OEM 55W (most stock headlights are 35W) high-output sealed beam halogens on the right. Both vehicles are XJ's, sitting side by side.

Low beams.
ipf7.jpg

High Beams.
ipf8.jpg

When i bought my jeep I had one of each of those headlights. I still do. You can really see a difference when you pull up to the side of the house.

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to order the conversion (Hella). When I talk to the guys at Susquehanna Motorsports, I will ask about a harness. When I got my e-codes for my VW they had a harness for the application.

00Classic said:
Thanks for the input guys. I am going to order the conversion (Hella). When I talk to the guys at Susquehanna Motorsports, I will ask about a harness. When I got my e-codes for my VW they had a harness for the application.
you'll be very happy, even with the stock wattage H4 bulbs that come with the housings

It's easier just to buy a premade harness, but it's cheaper and a more "fulfilling" project to make your own. Plus it's really easy, just running wires and adding connectors........

On second thought i think i will go with the E-codes..
dont think ill have much problem.. patrol around here inst to heavy handed..

really like http://www.rallylights.com web site..
cool stuff.. good deal
ill get them for xmas and post up on them...

Aaron

I lost my boxes and paperwork for my Hella lights.

Anybody have a part number for the E-codes?

I have the Vision Plus number

Are the E-codes 72206?

Thanks
Jason

Vision Plus are NOT E-codes. Ergo, if the Vision Plus number is 72206, then the E-code number isn't.

Hmmmm.... according to Susquehanna Motorsports, the 200mm Vision Plus headlights are HL72207. E-codes will be a H6504 number.

I've been running Hella E-codes in my XJ for 3 years now, with a homebuilt relay harness and 100/55 bulbs. Don't run over factory watts without a harness.

The Vision Plus light housings are DoT-approved, and appear similar to the sealed beam lights, except for being made from much better materials (mainly 'cos they're not disposable.)

The E-codes are different - they've got a "pie-wedge" shaped section of lense that's cut a little different - and that's why they give a fuller beam and a sharper cutoff.

Either will work and is acceptable, but if the cops in your area are a pain, it's a good idea to get the Vision Plus lights, since they're DoT approved and won't themselves get you an equipment ticket (and careful aiming will hige the fact that you've got high-powered bulbs, if you get them.)

You'll want to take a little more care when aiming the upgraded lights - I do that job myself and don't bother with anyone else. I haven't even gotten "flashed" in the last several years.

Bear in mind that the E-codes and Vision Plus lamps are different part numbers, with different appearances. One of these days, I'll have to take pictures of both that I've got...

5-90

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/200mm.asp

SMS lists Hella "Vision Plus" (the DoT-approved one) and "ECE" (the E-code) lights here. That page is for 200m/m "square" lights, which is what we have

Even if you get the stock wattage bulbs, it would be to your advantage to whip up a wiring harness, to shorten the power path as I may have mentioned previously. I put the relay box and fuzes back by the RENIX coolant volume tank, but if you put it slightly forward of the OEM relays (between the relays and the battery, a little behind the battery,) that should work a little better - and I'll be doing that when I redo all the wiring.

Use 12/3 or 10/3 rubber-jacketed industrial extension cord for the mains wiring, and you can get away with 16/2 or 18/2 for the "trigger" leads from the OEMR headlamp wiring. By my figures, 12/3 will be good for up to about 160W, and 10/3 for up to 200W or so, per bulb. Run two leads, split off the relay - one to each bulb. It's easier to build, and easier to run.

As mentioned, I do plan on coming out with a PnP headlamp harness through Works in Progress - I've just been put back on prototyping things while I repair myself. I was originally thinking the first of the year, but now it's pushed back to 1Q2006...

5-90

This is an old post but I figured I would try to revivie it. I am looking to get the Hella E-Code conversion for my 2000 XJ. I was wondering if anyone is running it with Silverstar H4 bulbs? I loved the Silverstar sealed beams in my YJ so I figured this would be a great combination. If anyone has pics of this combo that would be awesome. Anyone have any other suggestions on real bright white, not bluish, bulbs to use in this conversion?

Also, on the wiring harness debate, will upgrading the harness alone make a difference in headlamp brightness? Who makes the best mass produced harness for the XJ? If I go the homemade route, anyone have complete instructions for do it yourself wiring harness?

Thanks

Back