• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires and Thermostat

carmike692000

NAXJA Forum User
Well, the coolant in my engine has been really brown and murky for a while now, so Dad just had it flushed out yesterday. The guy also said the thermostat was stuck open, so he replaced that as well.

When Dad came home, he said he got some new tires on it, too! My old tires were some hard Dunlops, and the rear tires were low on tread (from breaking them loose at so many stoplights and corners :D). They made wet roads scary, too. So hopefully the new rubber will do better in the wet. I'll find out tomorrow! I'll also find out how quickly the engine heats up, too, as I'm leaving early in the morning (for me...7:00).

The new tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/T. Know anything about them?

don't forget, I think they should have a "valve stem" towards the inside of the tire. The "valve stem" is a deviced used to allow air in and out of the tire.
BSD

Oooh. So you mean I can actually put air in them so they're not flat as a pancake? I thought that was a rather weird design, but I didn't know about the 'valve stem'. I think I'll see if I can't maybe blow up a balloon and then put it around the valve stem to blow up my tires. That might take a few tries, though.

:D

carmike692000 said:
Oooh. So you mean I can actually put air in them so they're not flat as a pancake? I thought that was a rather weird design, but I didn't know about the 'valve stem'. I think I'll see if I can't maybe blow up a balloon and then put it around the valve stem to blow up my tires. That might take a few tries, though.

Just remember, be sure to change the air twice a year for best results - easiest way to remember is to do it the same weekend you change your clocks.

Should be on your maintenance list next to blinker fluid and muffler bearings. :D

Seriously, though - the H/Ts are probably more street-oriented, but you should be able to get a bunch of information off the Tire Rack site (specs, user feedback, etc).

Rob

Well, we've got a problem We've really got a problem here. I had just gotten so that I could drive 'normal' on the road without lighting up the tires at every intersection and turn; I had managed to slowly wean myself off that. However, I just had to see how hard it was to get the new rubber to lose traction - I just had to. *sigh*

Well, the new tires have a totally different 'wail' than the other tires, and I'm addicted to it! So now I'm back to my old self! *sob* I just couldn't resist...

Oh, but on a brighter note, the engine warms up faster and stays at a steady temperature better.

Back