• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ 3" lift? (sorry another one)

XJ Wagon

NAXJA Member #1360
First let me introduce myself. My name is Ken and I am from Pasadena, TX. I have been lurking and searching and doing a lot of reading, but I am still confused about suspension lifts.

I was going to get a Pro Comp 3" with full leaf pack, but have been reading that Pro Comp is not good and they have bad customer service, so now I am thinking of going with RE 3.5" and SYE or Old Man Emu with spacers and shackles to fit 31's. With OME, what springs and leafs should I get? Light, med. or heavy?

There also have been some knocks on EMU about premature sag, so maybe Rubicon Express Super-Flex System w/Rear Leaf Springs plus shocks and SYE is really the way to go?

Any and all help and input is appreciated.

Thanks.

EMU makes a great suspension lift and is regarded as the best riding lift, but they don't go that high, I think only 2-1/2" lift. RE has great stuff and most people here in Cali go with RE stuff or at least a combo of RE and other manufacturers. Pro Comp isn't bad, but it does have a tendency to be a bit stiff that in large part is due to their shocks. Also going with AAL over a new spring pack will lend to a stiff ride and it will sag over time. It all depends on what you are looking for.

For cheap, like $225 I got a 3" Rough Country lift that included new 3" coils, 4 shocks with boots, and AALs. This was on my 1st XJ. It was a good kit and at 3" you don't need a SYE, new track bar, steering mods, aftermarket control arms, etc etc. I got the lift from Hecklethorn, I think I saw the ad in Peterson's 4x4 mag. This kit was well matched to running 31's. You can run 31's with a 2" budget boost on the street if you are more concerned with running that size tire and not that concerned about wheeling it.

Troy

Troy-

Thanks for the reply.

I want a good quality lift so paying more is expected, but I also don't want to go any larger than 31's and because this will be a dd, all though my drive to work is under 10 miles. I am planning to go with a new leaf pack which ever lift is go with. I am going to add some weight with a front bull bar bumper and rear tire carrier plus cargo, so I don't want to get a real soft ride that will sag.

I just want to get it done right, or as best I can.

Thank you again.

Ken

Big Red said:
Pro Comp isn't bad,
Yeah,it sucks.
For cheap, like $225 I got a 3" Rough Country lift that included new 3" coils, 4 shocks with boots, and AALs.
Yeah,and those 8000's suck too,try the 9000's they are even worse.
Troy

rusty's 3inch works GREAT for me! Good on the road too. About as cheap as they come with full packs. it was like 520$ with shipping included.

If you don't mind me running all of this all by, I am kinda overwhelmed with information that I have been reading about.

RE Super-flex sys, with rear leaf springs, and shocks. From what I understand I probably will need the SYE and drive shaft anyway and adj. track bar. Also drop pitman arm and steering box brace?

From what I have read the RE 3.5" will give me more than that, bout how much? What will it settle down to with bull bumper, rear tire carrier and some cargo?

Thanks.

Don't be surprised if the RE 3.5 gives you 4.5" to 5" not even counting the bigger tires. It will settle a little but not much, although if you put the bull bar and tire carrier on you may get it down a little. I think you would have to fill your jeep with rocks to get it below 3.5" though.

I would recommend the 3.5" Superflex all the way. Down the road you are going to want to get the RE Drop Brackets and Braces, I just did it after 9 months and it has made a world of difference in ride, I also don't feel like something is going to fall apart when I hit bumps anymore.

Depending on your luck you may be able to get away without an SYE by shimming and a T-Case drop but, if you have the money I would plan on getting one before long.

If it were me, I would take some time and assemble the parts from the forum. In the last month I have seen every part you would need to put together this lift listed either on here, on jeepforum or a local forum. Just figure out the parts you need based on the RE part list and start assembling. I was able to buy the entire lift from someone used and I'm glad I did, there is no reason to buy new if you can find used.

Good luck!

Thank you for the input.

I am going to go with the RE 3.5" Superflex. I still have to decide on shocks and steering stabilizer, but am thinking of RE Mono-tube and RE for the stabilizer also. I am just going to go with the SYE now, rather than waiting to see what happens.

Ken

Back