• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

distributor installation

turbobaja1835

NAXJA Member #1299
Who has some sound advice on installing a distributor so that it is done right? It of course is on a 4.0, well what used to be a 4.0 but it doesn't matter. Do I just put the distributor on the #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke and it should be good or do I have to do anything special with the timing issue? It is my impression the timing is computer controlled on a 92 4.0 right? There has to be someone out there who has done it before, I have stayed out of the Fuel Injected side of the universe until I bought my jeep and not sure how it is supposed to work with the computer. any help out there?

In theory, if #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke and you drop the distributor in so the rotor points at the #1 wire turret on the cap, you can lock it down and go.

However ... if you are running an after-market cam, many people have found that the distributor drive gear is off and the stock distributor location (which is non-adjustable) isn't right. If that happens, you get to grind off the bosses that lock the distributor in place so that you can "index" it. I won't go into that unless you need it.

That is exactly what I was thinking but the problem I am running into is the guy at the machine shop keeps telling me something about unplugging something from the computer and I just don't like the sound of that idea. The distributor with the comp cam drops in right on the #1 plug post so I am thinking it should be close enough to get it to run when I start it up at the very least and then check the timing. If I need to grind the boss down on the distributor lock down to get the right timing I can do that no problem. Its not like it is hard to pull that distributor. Any recomendations on where to set timing for this beast I have built?
performance, gas mileage etc........ any ideas?

Timing is not adjustable. It is controlled by the CPS on the bellhousing, as is injector firing.

The only thing turning the distrubutor does is ensure that the rotor is pointing at a plug wire when the CPS says "Fire!" The way it is indexed is to take an old cap and cut away the side around the #1 turret. With the engine at TDC on #1 compression stroke, the rotor tip should be beyond the cap contact with an air gap of 0.020"

Back