• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to change inner Dana 30 oil seal ?

scprandy

NAXJA Forum User
I have tryed to find the answer to this by using the seach function, but could'nt find out how to change the inner oil seal on the passenger side of my 1990 Dana 30 disconnect axle.
I have a very active leak from the end of the axle tube, and a intermittent howl/sqeek from the front right wheel, so I figure the hub assembly is bad and will replace it as it needs to come off anyway(239,000 miles).
I have never taken my axle apart before but sounds like a very good learning experience, I have read that the axle nut and the three bolts holding the hub on are difficult to get off, expecially after 15 years and 239,000 miles.
I just dont want to get through all of this and find out I still have an oil leak, so, after much reading and allot of learning allready(some very good links out there), I have been prepared to take the axle apart, but, I still dont know how to change the inner seal.
Anybody know anything about changing this seal, need a special tool, will the diff have to come apart, should I just over and build a new axle?????
Thanks in advance for any and all input!

scprandy said:
Thanks, what else can you say, that article covers it all.
Now all I have to do is find some 95 WJ axles with ABS and do the job.
LOL... you don't have to go that far :D :D I posted the link as it had a nice step by step outline of how to get to the seal, but should you want to upgrade the axles you can use XJ axles that had ABS on them, you can use 95+ (I think it's 95) XJ axles as they also have stronger ujoints.
Or of you just want to replace the oil seal you can do that too without putting new axles in :D

Thanks for the input people, if I'm going to all the trouble of getting it apart, I'm going to put in new axles.
Did'nt know you could use XJ axles with ABS (95 +), thanks for the tip.

scprandy said:
Thanks for the input people, if I'm going to all the trouble of getting it apart, I'm going to put in new axles.
Did'nt know you could use XJ axles with ABS (95 +), thanks for the tip.
The 95+ is a source for both ABS and non ABS axles as they both should have the 297 (later 760) ujoints.
From the older ones it's only the 87+ (or therebouts) ABS equipped ones that you want to grab the shafts from.

Back