• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Optima Batteries

stp189

NAXJA Forum User
The wife and kid was at the pool when I got home from work last night so I decided to do a little PM on my XJ. Took my battery out did the old baking pouder trick, got it looking like new. Put the battery back in and no spark what so ever. Took it to good old AutoZone and it wouldn't hold a charge. Thats the last time I do Pm's on my jeep.

Any way, I upgraded to a Optima Red Top Battery and I don't know if I am up in the night, but I have quite a bit of power back, very noticable. Is this possable?? It sure seems like it. Should I of gotten the yellow top?

It is possible that you could have a little more power (hp/torque), I would doubt that it would be noticable in a xj but it is possible if the battery just could not put out the power that the spark plugs, coil etc really needed.

Red top is a great battery. I think yellows are for second batteries personally (In street driven xj's) (I am sure plenty of people will disagree with me here they have in the past).

Michael

Optima Red top

I had an optima in my Samurai, lasted 7 hard years. Drained it many a time trying to climb/start on the starter. It always worked well. It started to loose holding power.....would die after a few days sitting. I replaced it with another before it actually died. I even put one in our Audi wagon. You won't regret that purchase.

What are the different colors/models? Isn't there a green one too? I just got a winch and am looking to upgrade my battery.

Red is for Offroad/SUV. More CCA's than Yellow.
Blue is for Marine.
Yellow is for Heavy Loads (ie. big radios, alot of lights, winches, etc.).

Never heard of a green one.

I've got a yellow and I plan to get a winch in the next few weeks.

looking into getting a redtop for my XJ-

do they have different sizes (do I need to find one to fit in my XJ's battery tray?)

i just looked the other day at one of those big warehouse club stores by me here in NY, and the redtops were selling for $149.99

i seem to remember guys on here saying they got em for much less than that i think

Capttrev

I paid $179 for my Yellow. It does fit the stock tray. It hooks up the same as a stocker.

I'm not sure where to get one cheeper than that.

Good Luck

Here's what they said....

Adam

Attached you will find a photo of the battery that we are selling for $65.00
plus $15.00 shipping. This battery is a battery that was randomly taken out
of production and sent to their quality assurance lab. It has been put
through a number of tests to make sure that their production line is meeting
quality standards. All batteries meet rated specifications but cannot be
sold as first run product since it was put through a number of tests. This
battery does not come with a factory warranty as reflected in the price.
All batteries are fully charged and less than 6 months old.

We are a full line, Optima Battery stocking distributor. You may see the
other products that we have available for sale at our web site below if this
battery doesn't interest you. Should you like to place an order for this
battery you may call us at (800) 455-7400 and place your order over the
phone for quick delivery.

Sincerely
Michael E. Moeller
Vice President

Remy Battery Co., Inc.
4301 W. Lincoln Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53219
TEL : 414-384-0340
TEL : 800-455-7400
FAX : 414-384-0344
Shop us online at ...
http://www.remybattery.com/

Seems to sound ok, but I'd think if they were sent Optima's QA, then the warranty would still apply. Who knows.

Back