• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much can I drop my Xfer

HotChiliRam

NAXJA Forum User
I lifted my 1990 XJ 6" and The xfer case drop kit from RE isn´t enough I know some of you are going to say "Get a SYE" but I don´t want to. I want to add a little more drop to my xfer. If I´m not mistaken the RE drop kit drops the tail just 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch, can I drop the xfer 1" or a little more for example?.

Thanks

HotChiliRam said:
I lifted my 1990 XJ 6" and The xfer case drop kit from RE isn´t enough I know some of you are going to say "Get a SYE" but I don´t want to. I want to add a little more drop to my xfer. If I´m not mistaken the RE drop kit drops the tail just 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch, can I drop the xfer 1" or a little more for example?.

Thanks

What do you mean, you don't want to???

HotChiliRam said:

Thanks
I've seen 1 1/2" spacers but that would not be enough with a 6" lift anyway

What I mean is that I don´t have the $$$ right now and don´t want to spend in a SYE, I have almost no vib with all the lift that I have right now, but I want to make the drop cilinders a little larger to drop the xfer a little more. I don´t want my CV Joints to grind.

Measure what you have....if it's only 3/4", then try 1" either using washers or different spacers entirely (better).

If that's not enough you could go a little more but I would think you will run into t-case shifter linkage issues that you may have to correct either with brackets or at the very least a linkage adjustment....

HotChiliRam said:
What I mean is that I don´t have the $$$ right now and don´t want to spend in a SYE, I have almost no vib with all the lift that I have right now, but I want to make the drop cilinders a little larger to drop the xfer a little more. I don´t want my CV Joints to grind.
We understand what you want. If your drive shafts are in good shape you will not have much vibration at first, but they will wear out quickly.
The next thing is you can bust the tail shaft and housing very easily.
If you don’t add the SYE you can expect to rebuild the drive shafts about every 5000 miles or less.

HotChiliRam said:
Either spend a little money now or spend a lot in a short while: your choice. Dropping more then 1" is for the most part a bad idea... but if you do so, take the front driveshaft off cause when you drop you adjust the angle for the rear shaft and you screw it up for the front.

U-joint life goes down a lot when operated outside the optimum operating angle. Vibrations can also shorten bearing life in the T-case output/Pinion.

Keep in mind as you drop the transmission cross member you are also increasing the pitch of the engine. Adding stress on the engine mounts, the tranny mount and pitching the fan ever closer to things in the engine compartment.
If you have little to no vibes and don't want to spend the money to do it right, why not target the cheapest component to replace, i.e. the drive shaft u-joints.
Just continuing to drop the transmission cross member seems to be the worst choice.

Just my $.02

Seriously... you're not asking for it. You're begging for it. 6 " is a lot of lift,

but

you could always do a T-case drop and shim combo... 6" of lift should be about a 3/4"-1" drop along with 6 degrees of shim... that should be about right, give or take a degree of shim. Wait. it's a 90? I would start with the t-case drop and 2 degrees of shim, but buy a 4 degree just in case.

490Chaser said:
Seriously... you're not asking for it. You're begging for it. 6 " is a lot of lift,

but

you could always do a T-case drop and shim combo... 6" of lift should be about a 3/4"-1" drop along with 6 degrees of shim... that should be about right, give or take a degree of shim. Wait. it's a 90? I would start with the t-case drop and 2 degrees of shim, but buy a 4 degree just in case.

Thanks for the answer, that was what I was looking for....... I'm going to go with shims instead of xfer drop.

Back