• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axle question

flsurfer19

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2000 xj classic and the pinion bearing is shot on my 8.25 i want to get a junkyard rear-end (a 35 or 8.25) will any year, 87-01, dana 35 fit while i rebuild the 8.25 so i can still drive. all the help is welcomed thanks!

DONT GO WORSE THEN WHAT U ALREADY HAVE!!!! Dont go back to a dana 35!!!! Jesus lol go for a ford 9" or a popular 8.8 and if you must have a bolt in go for the 8.25, also look at the factory dana 44 from an 87(?) XJ.

A dana 44 is a direct swap in place of the DC 8.25. Only the brake line mount/ vent needs minor modification.

The DC 8.25' brake attach has the vent though the center, and the Dana 44 has a solid bolt and seporate vent nipple.

flsurfer19 said:
is the 44 a direct swap? also how much mod. is need to fit the 9" or 8.8.

flsurfer19 said:
is the 44 a direct swap? also how much mod. is need to fit the 9" or 8.8.

If its from an XJ, yes. But good luck finding one. The 8.8 and Ford 9 are very common and I believe a direct bolt up as well. I would search it to be sure.

i see no reason not to rebuild the 8.25 you have if you cant find a similar replacement first. and since when is a D35 a step backward when its intended to be TEMPORARY? the guy has a bad rear axle and wants to fix it. why even mention a replacement axle that would require a larger financial investment and/or modifications to work?

it sounds to me like $$ is an issue and so is maintaining a reasonable mode of transportation. do what is easiest at the moment. if you wheel this rig much i wouldnt consider the D35 a serious replacement, but for a daily driver that doesnt wheel a d35 IS PERFECTLY FINE for what you need.

God no they are not a direct swap, shave off shock mounts, weld on new mounts. Cut off perchs and reweld perchs at the right places. There isnt much that is a direct bolt in for a cherokee unless its a d44 from a cherokee or a d35 or 8.25.

noresttill said:
If its from an XJ, yes. But good luck finding one. The 8.8 and Ford 9 are very common and I believe a direct bolt up as well.

I would search it to be sure.

Forgot the last part of my statement. But they are common, right?

Rawbrown said:
since your in FL. there is a place down that way i thihnk in Miami that sells NOS axles. including D44's. and the prices are good. they might only have MJ D44's on the shelf but for the price, you can pay to have the perches and shock mounts relocated.
Tapco?
but going to a D44 or even a 35 you will loose your ABS.
???

ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back