• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ door glass replacement.

Gildo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi gents, Im a seldom poster but often lurker and have found many an answer to my XJ issues here.
The current one is replacing the door glass in the front left ( Your Drivers door my Passenger door)
Its a RHD Australian delivery 95 Limited Classic with leather and electric everything.
I have a donor vehicle and have stripped the inside trim and the 1/4 window to remove the glass.
Ive tried undoing the Torx at the base of the glass it came a little loose but will not come out.
Is there a way to hold it that I've missed?
is this the correct piece to remove the glass?
In the std Jeep parts method do I just replace the whole door????

HELP!

Well...

When I've had to replace door glass (we're talking about the one that rolls up and down, right?) I've typically found a single retaining point down bottom, behind the door filler panel.

With the window rolled most of the way down, undo that, then finagle everything around until the window is loose (the retainer is usually a nut, which threads onto a shaft on the regulator - the part that makes the window go up and down.) Once you've freed the glass, then you just lift it up and turn it about until it slips out of the track, then remove it.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

The catch is, usually, getting the window loose of the track. If you have trouble, you can remove the vent window (if present,) by removin the screws, drilling out the rivets (use a 1/4" bit) and, with the window down, tilt the vent backwards and lift it out of the door. Make sure the main window glass slips into the track on the backside of the vent window frame on reassembly, and you can replace the rivets with 1/4" machine screws, fender washers, and self-locking nuts on reassembly. I've used stainless, and nylon collar ("Aero") locking nuts.

Also, be careful of the "wiper" seals at the bottom of the window opening - they may be damaged when passing the bottom of the window glass (take your time here, and you'll save them. Have a putty knife or two handy as well.)

Good luck!

5-90

Yeah I got as far as undoing the single torx bolt at the bottom but it just spins, on other parts with a nylon insery its easy enough to twist to squeeze it and undo the bolt just a bit lothe to try that with the glass.
IS there a nut at the back?
What size is it and how do I get to it???

In my experience (total,) a nut would be rare. That's not to say that it won't happen - just that it's rare.

You might want to try a pair of locking pliers on the back - but then I'd want to change the regulator as well. Whenever I have to change a window out, I tend to put a little white lithium grease (it's waterproof) on the stud before I put the nut on - just to forestall that little problem. Sure, it costs a little more to do the job that way (about two cents,) but it's also a huge saver in labour and frustration.

Sounds like you might want to get a spare regulator anyhow, at this point.

5-90

Back