• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5 Superflex Questions

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I just bought the RE 3.5" Superflex for my 90XJ. I was wondering for those that have just drilled to relocate the trackbar (like RE instructs you to do on the sheet) did you have to weld? I was reading on GoJeep's website and he said that he only moved his 10mm so he had to weld. I assume the 3/4" that RE suggests is enough to where you don't have to? Also, I didn't get the extended front brake lines, is it okay to just unbend the "Z" like RE suggests or do I need to get the front lines also? And finally what are the chances that I won't have vibes when I get done? I know it will have to be aligned to prevent death wobble but I'm talking as far as just driveline vibes. Thanks to anyone for their expertise.
Collin

CollinM said:
Hey guys I just bought the RE 3.5" Superflex for my 90XJ. I was wondering for those that have just drilled to relocate the trackbar (like RE instructs you to do on the sheet) did you have to weld? I was reading on GoJeep's website and he said that he only moved his 10mm so he had to weld. I assume the 3/4" that RE suggests is enough to where you don't have to? Also, I didn't get the extended front brake lines, is it okay to just unbend the "Z" like RE suggests or do I need to get the front lines also? And finally what are the chances that I won't have vibes when I get done? I know it will have to be aligned to prevent death wobble but I'm talking as far as just driveline vibes. Thanks to anyone for their expertise.
Collin
I have had the same kit for 6-months or so. I dont suggest drilling the trackbar bracket, get an adjustable track bar or track bar relocation bracket for less $ just in case you want to go higher in the future, my front brake lines have been fine so far but that is minor to change and I will eventually, and as far as driveline vibes I have had no probs but this seems to vary considerably for people, as long as you have enough of your slip-yoke to prevent your shaft from falling out

So did you not even bend the front brakeline bracket then? Or are you saying you did and that worked fine?

I did have to take out the z-shaped bend, and the gusset holding it to inner-fender has a little too much wear for my liking, I wouldn't want to saw through the break line.

Ahh alright thanks. An additional question, I know someone that is taking a track bar relocation bracket off his ride in about 2 weeks. If I were to lift it this weekend would it be safe to drive without the trackbar being relocated for about 2 weeks or not?

if it is the stock track bar, it will not fit lifted, it will be too short, even if you do end up drilling like I did, you can always reinforce the bracket where it was drilled once you upgrade to adjustable track bar. I know the feeling of waiting for parts as you stare at your lift kit and stock ride, hope this helps and good luck!

CollinM said:
Collin
Hi,

I run 31" tires on 3 5/8 backspacing wheels. I've installed RE6030 on my 96 jeep. After the lift installed, I check where to drill and found out the center of the hole to be drilled was less than 3/4" away from the old one. Anyway, I drilled and I did not weld it [neither I have a welder nor I know how to do it]. So far so good, I do not see it steel bending or cracks around. I guess I will weld it eventually, just not this season.
Some people say relocation brackets are not that reliable. Here is the link, it's a different lift kit, but the idea should be the same. http://www.polytropia.com/cherokee/tweaks.html
As to brake lines, you are right, unbending existing ZZ /drilling holes for brake line bracket is enough for 3.5 lift. I flexed it as much as I could and checked everything.

I have NP231, so I can say only about rear driveshaft vibrations. You'll get them. Mine were so severe, I was afraid to lose my teeth. :) May be yours won't be so strong. I checked the angles, the angles between the transfer case and the diff pinion were within 1*, so a CV shaft was the way to go. After the installation of a CV driveshaft, I played with 6* and 8* axle shims and currently I run 8*.

Here is a picture of suspension flex.
http://slonopotam.no-ip.org/JeepArticulation/On_ramp_front.jpg

3.5 lift is not sufficient to clear 31 tires with 3 5/8 bs, here is the picture.
http://slonopotam.no-ip.org/JeepArticulation/on_ramp_wheel.jpg

Good luck,
Andrey

Thanks for all the help everyone! If anyone else has experience on with this kit let me know please.

I relocated my track bar with no issues. I did have to go to a sye to fix rear drivline vibe. Transfer drop kit only fixed 50% of it. Relocated frt lines with no issues. I aligned with tape and after a year I have no abnormal tire wear or frt end conditions bump steer or death wobble It drives 70-80 on the expressway fine. I am considering the control arm drop brkts as mine is a daily driver. You could allways relocate the track bar till you get an adjustable one but definatly do not drive with it disconnected.

Was it manageable with the transfercase drop or was it horrible? My 90 is my DD too and part of the reason I went with RE was because they claimed to have a really good ride. Thanks.

The ride is ok the drive line vibe was tolerated for 3 wks with drop kit till I installed SYE wich fixed it 100%. I felt that the vibe I had was bad enough that it would actually cause bearing damage and or wear out u joints. Try it and see how it is. If you need it its only 500-600 for the kit and drivshaft That may seem like alot but to me it was worth it. I also will mention I used 4 degree axale shims.!

xjart said:
The ride is ok the drive line vibe was tolerated for 3 wks with drop kit till I installed SYE wich fixed it 100%. I felt that the vibe I had was bad enough that it would actually cause bearing damage and or wear out u joints. Try it and see how it is. If you need it its only 500-600 for the kit and drivshaft That may seem like alot but to me it was worth it. I also will mention I used 4 degree axale shims.!
I forgot to mention. I did not lower the tcase and I am very happy about it. Just SYE, CV and 8* shims.

I got the 6030 on mine and i like it, No vibes at all.

Poser..1
IMG_2532.jpg

Little bit of flex
mini-IMG_0661.jpg

Its sitting nice but i want to go a bit higher. Sye and front DS soon maybe.
.jpg

MWM what year is your Jeep? It looks to be about the same vintage as mine and I've heard the older ones don't have as much trouble with vibes.

I put the 3.5 superflex lift on my 1994 3 weeks ago. Drilled my traction bar with no problems so far, and relocated my brake lines.

I moved 5 feet before lots of vibes and noise from the drive shaft so I put on a transfercase drop for now it is drivable but not fixed 100% so am saving for the SYE etc..

I love the lift though.

I just finished putting on my RE 6030 this weekend. I got the RE adjustable track bar and it works great. All you have to do is drill the stock hole in the bracket out to 5/8". I definitely recommend getting an adjustable track bar; it would be a bummer if you redrilled the bracket like the instructions say and when you hook the bar back up, your body is not aligned with the axle. Another thing I would recommend is bar pin eliminators. I wish i would have bought them from the start, they would have saved me alot of stress. JKS makes good ones and www.rocky-road.com has some good ones for around $20. As for the brake lines, I took one look at the lines, then went inside and ordered stainless extensions. Tomken makes them for around $52. I just didnt want to mess with bending the hardlines, but thats just me. Make sure you plan plenty of time to put the kit on right, because you WILL run into problems oh and by the way, if you havent been told this a thousand times already, dont forget to use PB Blaster. Overall its a great kit, and rides great too (even w/o rear shocks like mine is untill I can put them on this weekend). I hope this helps and good luck

She's done....thanks again to everyone for the help. Hardly any vibes except for in 4WD and accelerating at high speeds on the freeway.
Lifted1990.jpg

Now you need to get rid of those baby tires and bling wheels, trim the fenders a bit, and get cha some 33's.:laugh3:

YES... I have the 6030 too!!

100_5384.jpg

Last edited:
Haha I like my bling ZJ wheels but yeah I will probably end up getting some black steelies and some 31" tires, I like the way that setup looks.

Back