• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Stands

RCman

NAXJA Forum User
Well as some of you may know, I hydrolocked my engine and it now needs a rebuild. Anyway, I'm now in the market for a new engine stand. I was wondering what everyone else might be using. I'm looking for something that is easy to work on/with (ie 360* rotation might be good, good support, mobility). What are you guys using to build your 4.0L engines?

Thanks!

Careful with the light weight engine stands. The 4.0L is longer than a V-8 and causes a lot more torque on the mount.

I have a crappy stand that I got at Princess Auto (Harbour Freight is probably equivalent). I haven't had anything as heavy as a fully dressed 242/258 on it yet - and if the VW TD that I had on it is any indication I'm leary.

The cheapie stand has a half decent head for rotation BUT the base itself is only three points/casters to stand it up. Two at the flywheel end about 3 feet apart and one at the crank snout end about 3 feet from the flywheel end.

Basically, it's a tricycle, and I'd rather have something with a big square/rectangular base that is not as easy to knock over. The three caster is stable enough on a flat, smooth floor but if you are absent minded (like me) and bump it with something while paying attention to something else you might knock it over.

Back