• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9" big bearing problem

The Blu Yak

NAXJA Forum User
I cant get the bearings off my axle shaft, do I have to beat them off or get a bearing puller? XJ-Ranger or someone chime in and help me out. Here is the pictures

10000775fy.jpg

10000806px.jpg

10000792qm.jpg

Thats one just to show off : )

Drill & cut them off & replace. They are pressed on. You can drill relief holes & chisle them off.

Rob

I had to use a 40 TON Press to get them off one I was working on last spring.
Once off, we used the heat/freeze method to assist in reassembly.
They are the tightest I've ever seen.

I think I am going to cut off the backing plate, Ive found a cheap disc brake write up on pirate and im going to go that route and try it out, ill post pics of it when i am all done

I took my shafts with the old bearings still on them to the local Napa machine shop. They pressed the old ones off and pressed the new ones on for $20 per shaft. It was worth it, IMO.

You should shave the axle while it's out. I wish I would have when I first put mine in. I was in too much of a hurry to get it finished though.

I just did mine this weekend and I'm happy with the results:
http://www.projectxj.com/mods/shaved.9inch.htm

Yeah I read that this morning, I dont have the tools to shave it and weld it back on, I am having to get a neighbor to weld my perchs and shock mounts on. Brian, on your disc brake conversion, did you leave a little bit of the old backing plate on there still? the write up on pirate said to leave a little bit to keep the spacing correct between the shaft and the axle tubes.

Also brian could u some close pics of ur brake set up and lines, thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah, i cut out a small section of the backing plate to get the spacing correct on the disc conversion.

I can take a photo, but I don't know that it will show much. From the calipers I ran soft lines....I think you can get them from currie for the 8.8. I then ran a short hard line from the drivers side to the T block....and a longer one from the passenger side to the T block. You can pick up the hard lines at your auto parts store with the ends already on them....in different lengths that should work for your needs.

You can send me an email with any other questions: [email protected] .

The Blu Yak said:
I think I am going to cut off the backing plate, Ive found a cheap disc brake write up on pirate and im going to go that route and try it out, ill post pics of it when i am all done

So you are planning on running 25 year old bearings, seals and bearing retainers?

Good choice.

The pressed on retainer that insures the bearing does not slip on the shaft has now been there for 25 years, under God knows what kind of abuse from God knows how many rednecks. Now you're going to subject it to yet more abuse under a Jeep.

Hey, if you feel good about it, great. I would sure feel better drilling that retainer, chiseling it off, changing the bearing and seal, and pressing on new junk. But that's just me.

CRASH said:
The pressed on retainer that insures the bearing does not slip on the shaft has now been there for 25 years, under God knows what kind of abuse from God knows how many rednecks. Now you're going to subject it to yet more abuse under a Jeep.

Hey, if you feel good about it, great. I would sure feel better drilling that retainer, chiseling it off, changing the bearing and seal, and pressing on new junk. But that's just me.

Yep :thumbup: . I would hate to have to repair that on the trail if the bearing failed. Do it right, or do it again!!! The choice is yours.

Rob

Carrier and pinion bearings only. Axle bearings and retainers are extra.

www.ring-pinion.com

The Blu Yak said:
I cant get the bearings off my axle shaft, do I have to beat them off or get a bearing puller? XJ-Ranger or someone chime in and help me out. Here is the pictures

10000775fy.jpg

10000806px.jpg

my 9" was set up different - i just pulled the shaft out and the backing plate stayed with the housing... my retainer was on the other side of the backing plate.

also it looks like you have non-factory bearings there - id look into some Timken tapered wheel bearings - the tapered hearings are praised more by some - and they are what ford spec'd.

The Blu Yak said:
The bearings and seals were all good, spun freely and had good greese on them.

grease? these shouldnt have any grease - the seal for the bearing is outside the bearing and the gear oil is what lubricates the bearings - unless there is something that i dont know... (highly likely)

here is what mine looked like when I pulled them:

click for full size...

oh - and remember to keep the bearing race with the bearing - they are matched set...

XJ_ranger said:
my 9" was set up different - i just pulled the shaft out and the backing plate stayed with the housing... my retainer was on the other side of the backing plate.

I think were confusing terms here.

Backing plate keeps the shaft in the housing by keeping the bearing in the race. It is located between the bearing and the axle flange.

The bearing retainer is pressed onto the shaft after the bearing has been pressed on. It keeps the bearing from slipping on the shaft.

Back