• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need ideas,cant get tranny bolts out!

josh89xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 89 xj im in the process of a engine swap,Itr ready to come out except the top 2 tranny bolts. Any ideas? I tried coming from underneath but with that hard of a angle i couldnt get her loose and dont want to risk striping it..help help!!

try dropping the back of trans and trans case with a jack and get a long extension with a swivel and I think an E12 reverse Torx bit It takes a bit of wrangling but you can get them , just be aware that the should be a reverse Torx not a regular head. HTH , John

I have heard of people pulling the motor mounts to drop the engine then using a 12pt (13mm?) metric box end wrench to remove them.

I had no luck getting them out and pulled my tranny with my engine when I swapped motors.

Go to HF and get their 3 foot extension and the torx. I use a roughly 6" extension, a universal, then the long extension. It should be no problem.

If they were able to get them out with a standard box end wrench, they must not have been very tight to begin with. The torx bolt has six points with no flats so a regular wrench wouldn't fit properly at all. Best bet is to get the right tool and they will come out. Many people replace the tranny bolts with regular bolts so they don't need to worry about the issue the next time around. I figured since I already bought the socket, might as well continue to use the bolts. My suspicion is that most of the problems with removing the bolts come from not realizing that one needs a special socket to do it.

JMHO
Spudboy

Spudboy said:
If they were able to get them out with a standard box end wrench, they must not have been very tight to begin with. The torx bolt has six points with no flats so a regular wrench wouldn't fit properly at all. Best bet is to get the right tool and they will come out. Many people replace the tranny bolts with regular bolts so they don't need to worry about the issue the next time around. I figured since I already bought the socket, might as well continue to use the bolts. My suspicion is that most of the problems with removing the bolts come from not realizing that one needs a special socket to do it.

JMHO
Spudboy
Yeah... those external (inverted) torx are tough to get going with a regular socket. Once you put a proper socket on it (E12? E10? something like that) they will come out.

Back