• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help with starting/stalling problems (fuel related?)....

R_Willis

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep is a winter only vehicle basically. I drive it once a month or so during the summer, maybe every two months at worst.

Went to start it up the other day and it won't start. Trys to crank, but doesn't turn over.

If I spray some starter fluid in the intake bellows it'll run for a split second and stall out.

Last year, when I bought this 1994 Cherokee Sport I changed plugs and the fuel filter. I went ahead and cleaned the plugs (wire brush and air compressor) out today, changed to new plug wires, put on a new cap/rotor also.

So, it'll turn over and fire up with the help of starter fluid, but almost immediately dies. Seems fuel related to me.

I swapped the fuse on the passenger side fuse block that controls the fuel pump with the AC one as it is the same part#, didn't help any.

Figure I'll go ahead and change the fuel filter tomorrow and eliminate it from being the problem even though it is only ~1yr old. Don't really think this is it.

I put some fresh gas in the tank along with a bottle of the stuff that is supposed to be a gas "antifreeze" and remove moisture also.

Any ideas guys?

Fuel pump?
Fuel filter?
Injectors?
..something electrical that controls fuel?

CPS??? (not really familiar with JEEPs as sports cars are my thing, but I see a lot of posts about this)

Thanks!

First thing I'd do is run a half quart or so of fuel out of the valve on the fuel rail.
If the CPS is out, chances are you wouldn't get enough spark to make it run, even with starter fluid.

Toward the front of the fuel rail, it has a cap on it. I forget what year they discontinued the valve, pretty sure yours has one though.
My thinking is to purge whatever is in the fuel rail out and have a look at what comes out (air?sludge?Pressurized fuel?).
You can also test for pressure and flow at the valve (if you have one). Can you hear the pump run for a few seconds, when you turn the key to run? It might be easier to hear, if you get close to the tank and have someone else turn the key to run.
The next time you try a start and it doesn't pop, pull a center plug for a look see (dry/wet?).
If yours doesn't have a valve, pulling the fuel rail hose (watching for gas spray) and turning the key on, with something to catch the fuel, might be helpful. There are two types of fuel hose connectors, one with external tabs and the other with an external clip and four internal tabs. The type with the internal tabs, needs a plastic tool to remove.
It seems doubtful all of the injectors are stuck shut. At least one cylinder should be getting fuel and it should pop, if there is pressure on the rail and spark at the plug.

Update: Fuel filter changed, no help.

While I had the fuel filter off, I put the hose that comes from the tank to the fuel filter, put it in an empty gas can and cycled the key a few times and nothing at all came out.

Checked all the fuses/relays in the relay/fuse box over on the passenger side by the antifreeze tank and they all check out at ~12 volts.

I've seen people refer to this fuel pump ballister (ceramic w/ 2 wires) on the driver side, but don't see anything like the one that was pictured in another post.

btw: car ran fine all last year with no signs of anything...

Thanks!

Verify you have power to the fuel pump module at the connector and if so your fuel pump is on strike and needs replaced ........sometimes happens when you leave them sitting around for too long, it locks up......

majic_tech said:
Verify you have power to the fuel pump module at the connector and if so your fuel pump is on strike and needs replaced ........sometimes happens when you leave them sitting around for too long, it locks up......
The pictures were 87 to 91 I don't think you have one.

It ended up being the fuel pump.

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions.

Ended up dropping the tank to do the job.

Probably had ~4hrs in it all said. Not _too_ bad of job.

Back