• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Todays project

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I bought a BB for my wifes 01 and put it on today. Went on super easy. I opted for shackles b/c the pack was in great shape and I really didn't want the ride to be any stiffer from an AAL. After the install I drove it and there are some very minor vibes. I do have a 1" TC drop kit laying around somewhere so I'll put that on and that should take care of things. Mostly we wanted it to sit a bit higher and fit some slightly bigger tires. We drove into Springs to look at tires and had insane death wobble through the Pass. I had to pull over. We made it to the store and I decided on 235/70 16 BFG AT's. The thing drove great on the way back up. I even went back down the Pass and it was fine. Wonder what happened? I told her to drive it tomorrow and if it does it again...I guess I'll take the lift back off. It was fine before it went on. The only thing I could think off was maybe some issue with the stock shocks being used with the spacers? Death Wobble is always such a mystery. Thing looks great though. I'll take some pics tomorrow in the light and show it off.

lifting with the stock type steering causes toe-in, which can create death wobble. get an alignment (or do it yourself, it's easy, check GoJeep's site)

your vibes from the rear may be from the t-case, or it may be your pinion angle. when lifting with a longer shackle it rotates your pinion angle up, and likely not at the proper angle.

For the vibes the t-case drop might help, but the problem with using a lift shackle is it rotates your pinion angle up. So that may be where your vibes are coming from.

For the DW get an alignment done soon. Have them check the front end for any bad rod ends, balljoints, steering stabilizer. If you just did a BB you'll probably have to relocate the track bar and have the alignment shop throw in some adjustment shims for the LCA's.

You beat me to it :cheers:

BrettM said:
lifting with the stock type steering causes toe-in, which can create death wobble. get an alignment (or do it yourself, it's easy, check GoJeep's site)
How does lifting with stock steering cause toe in? It causes the axle to go offcenter, but since he didn't touch the tie rod or trackbar or draglink I don't see how he'd get toe-in.

Im not sure how, but my toe changed alot when i went from a 2" lift to my RE 4.5 and caused a REALLY bad case of death wobble. Was toed in almost an inch...its a REALLY simple fix and will take all of 5-10 mins to fix...grab the tie rod with a pair of vicegrips after loosing the clams and rotate it to adjust toe in or out. I think 1/8" toe in is allowed...mine drove best with zero toe.

Id check that first....then go back and make sure your trac-bar is adjusted properly and double check torque on all your suspension components.

Last edited:
BrettM said:
inverted Y

lifting increases the angle on the tie-rod, shortening it's horizontal length, causing toe-in.
ahhh gotcha
Now I just wonder (from a purely theoretical point) how much it really changes as with a BB the height changes very little. Oh well, in any case alignment is in order :D (tape measure would work perfect on the new tires ;) )

She is going to drive back into town tomorrow and get the allignment done. I had DW on my 96 pretty bad and then I lifted it. 3" with a full spring pack, new shocks. I unbolted control arms, track bar to get all that on. With hers I didn't touch track bar or CA's. I didn't think that putting in spacers would mess with allignment at all Brett. I'm a knucklehead with suspension geometry though.
As far as the vibes go...maybe I'll have to do shims then if the TC drop doesn't fix it?

Good explanation Brett. However, that doesn't explain why it was fine on the way home. We bought tires at the only tire place I've ever seen that doesn't do allignments. Thats why we gotta get that done in the a.m.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but toe is also caused by another factor, the camber. When you lift and say the LCA pulls the axle under causing a different castor angle then the camber is now is not at the same angle causing either toe in or out depending on which was the axle was rotated

Last edited:
Back