• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEMR Bolt Size Request

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
All -
If you're working on your rigs, I'd appreciate it if you could measure all your bolts while you've got everything torn to bits. I'd like to assemble a list of bolt sizes for posting, and the more information I can have the better.

What I'd need:
Bolt Thread Size
Bolt Underhead Length
Special Head Requirements (socket head, button head, low-profile head, &c.)
Vehicle Application
Bolt Application (Useful for alternate materials selection & the like)

There are other factors that I'm not thinking of - so don't be surprised if you get a PM from me regarding your post.

The reason for this is twofold:
1) I'd like to post a reference at the Works in Progress website for everyone - either meaning to substitute bolts for something that will last a little longer, or make things easier to work on later (like brass/bronze hardware for exhaust...)
2) If there's enough interest, I'd like to offer bolt kits for later, with improved material selection. Based upon experience and sound engineering doctrine, I'd select non-steel bolts based upon application and environment.

I'll post a table with RENIX (engine) applications sometime soon - anything else I'm willing to add, upon confirmation. Don't be surprised if body bolts are metric - but engine bolts can go either way.

What do I want to add? Everything - if it's a fastener and you're removing it, I want to know about it, and I'd like to hear about it. So, tell me!

I think it's going to be best to post to this thread for anyone with anything to add - but I'll take PM's as well.

5-90

I have one.
Motor mount bracket to block bolts.

3/8-16 ~1.18 oem size
3/8-16 1.25 grade 8 as the replacement [with 2 washers]

Thanks for starting ths thread as I know it may come in handy.
Nathan

Only partial info w/ '89 I-6....the three bolts that hold the throttle body to the intake manifold can be removed with a T-45 torx.

5-90 said:
Cool - I knew that one was going to come up. Year/engine?

5-90

2K XJ 4.0.

great thread 5-90 !!! Now if you only wanted spot weld sizes I could give you that....have drilled out about a gizzillion replacing these floor pans...lol

will keep track of bolt sizes as I put this thing back together and keep you posted.

Oh I have a ton of interior bolts and screws out that I could measure. I can't remember where they came from though. I'm hoping that won't be a problem :D

The HVAC housing on a '96 uses some odd high-low screws with a bolt head. The screws appear to be 3/8" length, #10 thread, but have a 7mm head. After I threw away the pair of shorts in which they had been stored during removal (I was painting that day), I successfully replaced them with standard 3/8" #10 with a 5/16 (8mm?) bolt head. Greater risk of stripping, but with any luck I will never have to remove them again.

yuppiexj said:
RENIX CPS bolt
M7 X 20mm with an 8MM dia.X10MM long shoulder.
good luck on that one.

Good thing - I haven't seen one of those in a bit. All I could remember is that an 11m/ or 7/16" socket is just fine on those. I didn't have measurements, tho.

So, the total shank length is 30m/m, from the bottom of the head to the tip? Does anyone have a later version they could measure as well? I might be convinced to write up G-code to make those, since they don't have to be terribly strong (they're not structural,) and can therefore be made from 7/16" or 1/2" hex bar stock... If they're the same all the way up, it will be easier to convince me.

5-90

Glad that this got back to the top. The nut, highlighted in the pic, fell off and I am looking to see what size & pitch it is to replace it. The one I lost is actually on the other end of the manifold, but I beleive them to be the same. I doubt it will help but the nut is oem part number J535 1688.

manifold5tx.jpg

Any help on this would be great!

-jm

All manifold hardware, early on, was 3/8"-16. Try that first.

Later models may have gone metric, but I somehow doubt it. If they did, it should either be an M8 or M10.

Use brass, if you can. It makes it MUCH easier to take off the next time!

Check the tech section of my website for more bolt details - I've been posting them there as I collect them.

5-90

5-90 said:
All manifold hardware, early on, was 3/8"-16.
5-90

For my '90, it turned out to be 3/8 - 24. Unfortunatly the stud had been nearly sheered for some time... when i went to tighten it down, 1/2 of the stud pulled right out... i hate my life.

HTeK said:
For my '90, it turned out to be 3/8 - 24. Unfortunatly the stud had been nearly sheered for some time... when i went to tighten it down, 1/2 of the stud pulled right out... i hate my life.
on my 2-88's and 90 the hole in the head was 3/8-16 and the nut end on the studs are 3/8-fine thread (I assume 24)

-edit nevermind jon

btt - this deserves to keep going... maybe someday we can get a stainless bolt kit available. Almost everything std on mine is stainless, but stainless metric is a PITA to find.

MaineJeepah said:
btt - this deserves to keep going... maybe someday we can get a stainless bolt kit available. Almost everything std on mine is stainless, but stainless metric is a PITA to find.

I've actually been kicking around the idea of getting bolt kits together with some more thought going into the materials. Kinda like CRES for the lower engine screws (like on the oil sump,) brass or bronze for exhaust hardware, and the like. Probably make quite a few things easier to deal with, y'know?

What size CRES ISO are you looking for? Maybe I can find a source for it - with all the catalogues I've got, they've got to be good for something...

5-90

Leaf spring eye bolts............14mm X 2.0 X 120mm or you can do like I did..............order from the dealer.

-Ron

How about the size of the couplings for the master cylinder on an 85? I'm guessing 10mm

Back