• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No freewheel? Feels like it slows when pedal is lifted

WVXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96'xj, 4.0/242/aw4, when at highway speeds i can let off the gas, even going down hill, and it immediately begins to slow. Is this normal, it seems like it will ruin gas mileage? I have searched and found only one inconclusive thread, thought i would take another shot. Most cars/trucks seem to coast or even gain speed going down hill, but the xj slows, like there is no freewheel, any ideas on what it could be?

Mine does it too. So does my friends' and two other guys in my 4X4 Club.
I wouldn't worry about it. I thought there might something wrong with mine when I first bought it also, but it was explained to me that the gearing along with the tough little 4.0 cause it to be a bit "torquey", and sort of engine-driven.... meaning when you let off the gas, the rpm's drop and so does your speed... even down hill to a degree.

Maybe I was fed a line of BS? Others on here can most probably give a more technical answer to this phenomenon, but I would't worry about it.

It does happen to me too, but the XJ is not really aerodynamic either. Also my 33" shoes put a little drag on there too. Anyway for haha's check your rear brakes to see if they are dragging or if the e-brake cables are seized.

Mine slows too, even faster if I'm towing an empty horse trailer. It's aerodynamic drag, and with a shape like a brick, all XJ's do this. If you worried that it might be you brakes dragging. easiest way to check is to touch the hubs after you've driven for a while (trying to use the brakes as little as possible) if you can't touch the hub 'cause it's too hot - you may have a problem. Hubs should be relatively cool or the grease burns out. You can check trailer axles this same way.

My '95 XJ does this, also. My theory is that it's because of the low gearing. When you let off the gas to coast, the weight and momentum of the car are then left to 'pull' the car down the road. As it does this, it turns the engine and, because of the low gearing, we experience pronounced compression braking.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! :D

I've noticed it with mine, but since I'm usually doing down hill in areas where controling your speed is a requirement so I can't really complain about it. Another advantage is that the truck will slow itself down reducing the need for brakes as you coast up to stop lights (as long as you don't wait till you're a car length or two from the light and then mash the brake pedal that is!)

I belive that it is mostly engine braking. next time you are on a straightaway with nothing in front of you, put it in neutral and get off the gas. You will notice it does not slow down nearly as much.

Thanks all, i feel much better about it now. I kinda figured it was the low gearing along with the aerodynamics of a dumpster, but that somehow makes it seem even more unstoppable, almost, tank like!
Let's GO Mountaineers!!!

Back