• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumper

hey has anyone seen the rear TnT bumper? i really like it and was wondering if anyone had close ups of it... also i was wondering if i were to build something along those lines.. where should i mount to the jeep would the stock points be fine or shoud i do more? aslo i wanted to hack off the quarter panel ends any tip[s on that or is it pretty strait forward?
Thanks
_Alex

The stock eight bolts are not enough.

Go to the dealer and get the nutstrips used to mount the factory gas skid. These slip into the rear "framerails" so you can mount from underneath.

A little searching will turn up all kinds of good info...

Robert

I_1BADXJ_I said:
The stock eight bolts are not enough.

Go to the dealer and get the nutstrips used to mount the factory gas skid. These slip into the rear "framerails" so you can mount from underneath.

A little searching will turn up all kinds of good info...

Robert
thanks i searched but i just wanted all my qyestions answersed all together hehe
_Alex

ccflexj said:
hey has anyone seen the rear TnT bumper? i really like it and was wondering if anyone had close ups of it... also i was wondering if i were to build something along those lines.. where should i mount to the jeep would the stock points be fine or shoud i do more? aslo i wanted to hack off the quarter panel ends any tip[s on that or is it pretty strait forward?
Thanks
_Alex

When I was at COfest I saw the bumper. Though functional, at first, I found the small tube look difficult to look at. It find of grows on you ;) Bob has a very clean rig he uses on the trail and has his front and rear bumpers on it.

One of the first rear bumpers I had used 2 pcs of 2" 3/16" steel mounted under the skid plate to the frame rail. This was attached to a 2X5" 3/16" tube. Now I didn't build this, I just used it. It was remarkably sturdy. I hit trees with it (by accident!), towed a camper, snatched folks with it and came down on it hard many times. It had one fault, it would come home "crooked", sometimes a 1/4" off side to side.
A friend of mine has made a few and just uses the stock mounting location (notice I did not say "stock mount") and has not had any problem. He makes the main tube a 4X4 and as wide as the truck (54"?) they seem to stand up.
However, when you look at the bumpers MFRs make for the XJ with a built in receiver or with tire carrier, both the stock mounting location and also tie into the frame rail under the skid plate are used.

I'm thinking both if you can pull it off :) When I built my rear bumper, that's what I did.
You can look at the Custom4x4 site for ideas.
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/bumper/c4x4f_rear/

I have not trimed my 1/4 panels, sorry.

,Ron

Alex we use the stock 8, the reciever hitch mount and if orderred with the optional under 1/4 panel guard (requires cutting the 1/4s) another full mount to the front of the shackle hanger.

Coming soon...

Bob

Rock Yacht said:
Alex we use the stock 8, the reciever hitch mount and if orderred with the optional under 1/4 panel guard (requires cutting the 1/4s) another full mount to the front of the shackle hanger.

Coming soon...

Bob
wait so your rears arent for sale yet? cause i think ive decided id rather buy one then have to build it..i tried building my front and it didnt turn out that well and id rather have a good one for the rear and then just mess around building the one for the front
_Alex

Back