• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking sound after installing lift!

Beachmonkey6

NAXJA Forum User
So i installed a 3" skyjacker and 1.75 teraflex bb kit today on my '90 xj with 309,000 miles. And then i was drivin afterward and theres a clicking sound comin from under the body. I do not have driveline vibes at all so i dont know what this is. Im thinkin it might be a u joint, but i dunno. Please let me know what you think it is. Thanks. -Austin

Beachmonkey6 said:
So i installed a 3" skyjacker and 1.75 teraflex bb kit today on my '90 xj with 309,000 miles. And then i was drivin afterward and theres a clicking sound comin from under the body. I do not have driveline vibes at all so i dont know what this is. Im thinkin it might be a u joint, but i dunno. Please let me know what you think it is. Thanks. -Austin

Well did you give it a rattle and shake test? If not... I'd start there and see what comes up.

Beachmonkey6 said:
OK i shook it pretty hard.... its still clicks...
well... what did you shake and what clicks? The idea behind the shake and rattle test is to crawl underneath (make sure it's been parked and no components are scolding hot) and to grab each every component and shacke it and listen for rattle and feel for play.

i hate when that happens..:laugh3:
Beachmonkey6 said:
OK i shook it pretty hard.... its still clicks...

Beachmonkey6 said:
nothin shakes and nothin clicks ... untill the xj moves ... then it clicks.
Ok, where does the clicking come from? front? rear? does the clicking change with wheel speed? with rpms? Does it start or stop at any particular speed? Is there anything that could be binding? touching? Look at all the moveable components and look for shiny spots to find if something isn't touching and rubbing/clicking.
Anyways, you have to be a little bit more specific as without BEING there diagnosis is damn near impossible when the description is "installed a lift, now it's clicking".

sound like a u-joint to me, but a bit more info would help.

Beachmonkey6 said:
alright... it doesnt sound like its comin from any particular side and it only clicks when i accelerate... so nothings rubbing the wheels or anything.
I'm putting money on binding within the yoke as you're accelerating and experiencing axle wrap under load.

I love when a project comes together. You know ...... when everything just clicks.

Beachmonkey6 said:
i really dont think its axle rap ... im bettin its a u joint too
Ummmm how do you figure? When your noise comes only when you accelerate and doesn't seem to show up when you're driving that kind of eliminates most of the ujoint problems. Not only that, you're saying that it started to occur after the lift install.....

alright so i got under my jeep today and i turned my front drive shaft with my hands and there was a clicking sound(not very loud). It would click once for every full rotation. The clicking sound came from the end where the drive shaft meets the TC. Maybe this click gets louder when i accelerate. What do yall think? If this is what it is... then what should I do?... ive got a TC lowering kit comin in the mail... but i still have to have a car in the mean time.

Sounds like either the driveshaft needs rebuilt or possibly the chain in the transfer case.Drop the shaft and turn the transfer case yoke and see what happens.

Back