• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air shocks and longer shackles?

mjd99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody, been reading alot- first post though. I have a 99 classic, mostly stock. 235 firestone destination MTs (love em) and a question about my rear leafs. I added a 1.5 lift rear shackle set to help out the sagging situation and now it seems the leafs are almost inverted. My friend has all stock rear leafs with longer air shocks and is running 31 bfgs. Will the air shocks help right the bow on my leafs or am i just asking for something to give (cracking a leaf or something) Thanks for any help

shcoks give no lift, if thats what your asking.

The air shocks on my friends 99xj when pumped up to about 120lbs lifted the rear at least 2-3 inches and didnt seem to make it ride like a rock but there is definatly a height difference. I belive they are a bit longer than stock. I just want to know if its going to stress the leafs to combine them with the shackles. A full lift is in the plans, 3.5 superflex i think but its outta reach with that fat jolly bastard in red breathing down my neck. heh.

Nope, they are definatly shocks. I think they are available through Federated. Look just like normal shocks just have a air fitting in both shocks and the 2 air lines run to a schrader valve ina remote spot. I think they hold 175psi max.

I've goit airshocks on mine, they do help raise the truck a little in the back if you're unloaded, but if you've got a healthy load that stays behind the rear axle the whole truck will pick up when you air the shocks up. I think Dad keeps his at around 25psi, I normally run 30-35 psi in mine unless I'm hauling stuff, then I just air them up till the truck sits level. I've had as much as 90psi in mine unloaded and the truck rode awful and was a little tipsy feeling in the rear.

Keep in mind that you're running Firestones, which tend to run true to size, and BFGs don't. Your 235s are actually 29.1" while his BFGs (MTs, I assume) run 30.8." That said, air shocks might be a decent way to go. Check out Gabriels or Monroes.

oh and by the way i also have the

Firestone Destination MT in the 33" 285 75 R16 flavor...

lovem!!!!!

Air shocks will increase the load on the shock mounts, your taking some of the jeep weight and transfering it to the shock and mounts and away from the leafs. Shouldent be a problem depending on abuse. Regarding actual airbags?? wouldent do it as they are expensive and act like a sway bar killing articulation somewhat cause there so damn stiff even empty. At least thats my exp with the firestones on my Cummins dodge P.U. I had.

dyna said:
Regarding actual airbags?? Act like a sway bar killing articulation somewhat cause there so damn stiff even empty. At least thats my exp with the firestones on my Cummins dodge P.U. I had.

x2.
I have them on my XJ and they are great for me but I rarely wheel with it. It leveled out the rear of mine very nicely and they are GREAT if you tow anything but thats about it. Great for a mall crawler like mine.

Ok, guess those are out.I dont like the idea of them limiting travel. My ride definatly gets some rough treatment. I know the smart thing is to save and get the kit, but my rocker panels are hating me in the meantime. Nothing like a stock ride at the top of the trail with all the big $ rides though!

Dad put them his on to handle the load of the equipment and tools he kept in the truck and it was run offroad, often along railroad tracks for going and inspecting the tracks and getting to remote areas that some of the track was in. As for the sway bar like behavior, that should depend on how it's set up in the first place. The way the airshocks come packaged, one fitting fills both shocks and they will equalize a from one side to the other a little, I'm sure that if you set the lines with a T and use one line to feed both thtrough that T, it should act the same way.

Before I forget, Dad put Gabrials on his first Jeep, but when they started leaking internally and Green Slime finally quit plugging the hole he switched to Napa/Tenneco (same as Monroe) and since then my sister's Biarwoody and my Limited have recieved Napa/Tenneco airshocks.

Last edited:
Back