• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need ideas, help me build my XJ??

TBXJ91

NAXJA Forum User
It seems like everyone I know either has a Toyota Truck/Forerunner or a Cherokee. I have both, but the Yota is in dire need of a new frame, and the Cherokee is becoming a bit cliche for a builder. My problem I guess is I like to be unique, I know a Cherokee is a good platform, but I haven't seen much in these past years that hasn't been done. Basically I don't care much about streetability, and ideally I would like to build a trail buggy and compete with my buds in Legends class at Rockport IL.

I've considered a lot of options on this XJ, but they all either seem cliche, already been tried and failed, or just too damn expensive. Mine is a 91 with the 4.0, 4 door and the rear has been chopped. I've considered 1 ton axles but thought "too much weight, a million of them out there", I have considered 2 1/2 ton Rockwells but thought "too heavy, and it would never fit in my garage". Then I thought, well let me take the good stuff of the Yota and maybe combine the two, but the Yota front axle has the wrong side drop, and I would kind of like a full width axle under there. I guess my ideal Cherokee for competition and trail running would be light weight, strong axles, low lift, and the biggest tires I could squeeze on there. BUT, I don't want to build something everyone else has.

I'm kind of a cynic I'll admit but I really don't want to go out and find some obscure 4x4 and try to build it for the sake of being different, but what do you do when no possible building technique is going to make it stand out? Am I being too critical in wanting to be different? I really need some help here, and not just the kind a therapist can give me. I've been sitting on my hands and chewing on my bottom lip for about 2 1/2 years and am having serious 4x4 withdrawals.

I need your thoughts.

I think you might be giving this too much thought. Just slap a d44 up front from a 74 f150 or f250 (some fabbing needed) and a d60 in the rear.Lift it 4.5 in., put on some 35's, trim the hell out of it, then take it out and pound the $hit out of it. Bring it home and fix what you just broke. That should take care of your withdraws and your wallet. Do some searching and many of your questions will be answered. Good Luck

Im kind of going through the same thing actually. Its just so hard to decide what you want to run, but when the deals come up, it's pretty easy. I picked up a HP44/9" from a 79 Bronco for $200..and found a Dana 300 for $100, already set up with twinsticks. I haven't bought the 300 yet, just because I don't really need it for what Im doing.

I live in the midwest also, right around Springfield, and alot of the times out of the year, I'm playing in the mud or running muddy trails with alot of slippage. So after I thought about the terrain I'd be running most of the time, I came up with my answer.

Build this HP44/9" "cheaply". Meaning, stock axles, (might run alloy outers), A good strong U-joint, Spool/Detroit, Chevy knuckles, etc. All my labor is done for the price of beer. (Brother does it). Meaning setting up gears, welding, engine work, etc. He's helping me out alot, so we're gonna do this for low buck. I plan on running Q78's. Not too big of tire, but has deep tread, and will work well in the mud that we always have to deal with.

My .02 cents if it means anything.

I know what you mean with the "been there done that" frame of mind.

But it's hard to find ANYTHING out there as a better starter vehicle.

A CJ? Scout? TLC? 66-77 Bronco? All need fuel injection. CJ needs axle upgrade. FullSize Bronco? TTB and Trans probs. Blazer? Axle upgrade needed. Ramcharger? Axle upgrade as well and all maybe too big.

There really is nothing that wont need as many or more mods than an XJ might.

Keep the XJ. Do the 9"/Dana 44 combo out of an early Bronco if possible.

derekrichardson said:
There really is nothing that wont need as many or more mods than an XJ might.

Well...you gotta remember, as versatile as the XJ platform is, it's really pretty weak. Regular flexy wheelin on 33's or 35's on stock axles, over a period of several years, and the unibody construction WILL start falling apart if not properly reinforced. Things like doors not closing properly, weird creaks (especially in the steering box and front frame area), stress cracks around the top of the B and C pillars, and so on.

Something like a Blazer, which you'd probably want to upgrade the axles on, is "easier" to build in my mind. Because once you bolt the axles under it, you're done. No need for frame reinforcements or anything like that. On an XJ though, once you start hanging 3/4-ton or 1-tons under it, with close to 200 lbs of tire on each corner, that lil unibody will start hating you VERY quickly.

I'm not saying don't build the XJ though - I love mine to death for sure. This winter I'm doing a 14FF rear, HP60 front, NV4500 trans, dana 300 case, stroker 4.0...but there's a lot happening to the unibody as well. Full interior cage, frame rails reinforced the entire length of the vehicle and tied into said cage, a few cross-bracing/skids on the bottom...and it's still not guaranteed to last as long as most 'framed' vehicles.

Here's what mine will sort of be lookin like when it's done, although I'm doing the rear slightly different on mine.

Boatside_Profile.jpg

Boatside_Driver_s.jpg

Rear.jpg

I'm using a commanche tailgate on the rear of mine, and though I'm chopping the rear roof the same way, I'm running the rear cage from the top of the C-pillar to the tailgate in the back, with the option to snap on a custom soft-top there.

Vetteboy, is that stock? Mine doesn't look like that.

No, you are right about the XJ unibody. Although I don't see yours having any problems! I believe the Blazer has steering box/frame problems but that's about it. I had a Blazer once. It was big and with a son the 4 door is much more appealing. That wouldn't be much of a concern with a full-time wheeler, though.

(I put your XJ as my background on my PC)

derekrichardson said:
Vetteboy, is that stock? Mine doesn't look like that.

No, you are right about the XJ unibody. Although I don't see yours having any problems! I believe the Blazer has steering box/frame problems but that's about it. I had a Blazer once. It was big and with a son the 4 door is much more appealing. That wouldn't be much of a concern with a full-time wheeler, though.

(I put your XJ as my background on my PC)

:laugh3: That's not mine! That one belongs to Kaczman, who is on a few forums. In reading my post again, maybe I should make that clearer.

I was using that as an example of the direction my build is gonna take though.

Back