• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem With Transfercase

littlebluexj

NAXJA Forum User
i have wheeled the piss out of my xj in the last 2 years i have owned it so here are the spec's;88 xj 4 dr,i-6 AW4 np242 it has the 2wd,4hiPT,4hiFt,N,4lowPT so i thinks it the np242,a 4.5 RE lift and 6in cusom rear.the case has fuid and no metal shavings.I put the TC in 4L PT and it acts like its still it 2wd when crawling,so i put it in 4Hi FT and it will crawl,then i can shift back to 4L PT and it works.The other thing its doing is that went it is crawling up a ledge it will start to crawl it and then out of no were bind up and then POP real loud and act like its it 2wd again.

I think it has something to do with the gear mesh or the chain streched.
What is everyones idea on this.

Please help a wanting to learn 18YO
William

Last edited:
The chain can stretch to the point where it slaps the inside of the TC and wear a hole in it, can also break and take the case out that way. If yours is popping it sounds like it has stretched, I'd look in to it real soon.

Back