• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need computer buying advice

sean883

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to buy a computer for around $600 and i don't know a thing about them. Will mainly be using it for internet, digital camera and an auto cad program. Anybody have any advice on what brand or options i should be looking for?

Dell isnt' too bad, but I've heard of trouble when running them with high-end apps.

Try IBM refurbs. I've owned several, and I am now on my fifth ThinkPad (with my third NetVista desktop in the office.)

Note - I don't wear them out - I just have to upgrade fairly often, and most of the older machines are still in service. My ThinkPad760XD sits in the closet with my network core and runs diagnostics, my old NetVista sits with a quarter-terabyte of RAID hanging off of it.

5-90

I'd say to get one with a decent video card for your CAD program. I have some old Nvidea card that came with the Dell desktop I bought 3 years ago and it runs Solidworks and Pro/E Wildfire, but there are a few glitches when I try to rotate big assemblies in a shaded model view.

I'm with 5. Older refurb IBM are great. Don't bother buying new ones (Sept of this year of later) as they are from new PC maker Lenovo out of China and not yet proven. I have worked in IBM and Dell environments (both between 500 to 1000 pc units) and I would rather work on an IBM then a Dell any day. IBM is easier to upgrade and repair. Dell might as well buy a new one if something breaks.

That being said my newest environment is running nothing but Fujitsu laptops (120 units) can't say enough good about them. All P4's with nvidia video, they run cool and run the graphics we use daily quite well. Not fitting into your budget new but here are some links to used on the bay
http://computers.listings.ebay.com/Laptops-Notebooks_Fujitsu_W0QQfromZR4QQsacatZ18792QQsocmdZListingItemList

As far as Lenovo goes, they've been making IBM desktops and ThinkPads for about four or five years (per IBM service - my wife's ex works there...) and they've actually been proving themselves for a while. IBM just handed operations to Lenovo since they were losing money "middlemanning" the chain, and decided to move into the server market.

Anyhow, Lenovo shouldn't be a problem - as I said, they've been in business behind the IBM marque for a few years. It's just that they're suddenly pushed into the forefront...

5-90

againstherwill said:
I'm with 5. Older refurb IBM are great. Don't bother buying new ones (Sept of this year of later) as they are from new PC maker Lenovo out of China and not yet proven. I have worked in IBM and Dell environments (both between 500 to 1000 pc units) and I would rather work on an IBM then a Dell any day. IBM is easier to upgrade and repair. Dell might as well buy a new one if something breaks.

That being said my newest environment is running nothing but Fujitsu laptops (120 units) can't say enough good about them. All P4's with nvidia video, they run cool and run the graphics we use daily quite well. Not fitting into your budget new but here are some links to used on the bay
http://computers.listings.ebay.com/Laptops-Notebooks_Fujitsu_W0QQfromZR4QQsacatZ18792QQsocmdZListingItemList

DBenz said:
Go to www.Dell.com My uncle just called my dad from Oklahoma City and said they are having big sales (he works for them). I'm looking into one for myself, because they are so cheap now.

Thats a second on the Dell, they are dumping all their old stuff as they move into the btx motherboards so all their ATX stuff is going cheap. Pick a lower priced one that has a P4, AGP video card. Then once you get it spring an extra $150 for a good AGP video card and two more memory sticks. Do not pick one that has a celeron processor or onboard video, some of their motherboards with onboard video don't have a seperate AGP slot for a video upgrade, just ran into that last week at a neighbors.

Thanks for the help, my girlfriend picked up a computer during Fridays sells rush. It has a AMD Athlon 64 processor, 512mb memory, 160 gb hard drive, and a bunch of other stuff. I guess she made the dedecision for me, oh well it's nice and she got a good deal on it.

thanks again

amd is the only way to go. i need a new pc but im waiting for dell to switch over. they placed an order for the amd chips this fall but dont know when they will be in there systems yet. get more mem, and when the warrenty(if you got one) runs out over clock it. it is worth it.

Back