• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welded rearend

Imjosh

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 on 33 mtr's and i think im gentle but my friends keep tellin me i have a heavy foot (i think they're just girls). How would a welded rearend hold up and how good is it gonna drive on the street by the way it's a 35 with 3.55 gears 4.0 and an auto i live in Georgia so not alot of snow and crap like that to deal with. thanks for the help.

Very bad idea with a 35. I could see it for a trail ony vehicle with a 35 spline Dana 60, or a 14 bolt, but not the 35.

Spools or welded rears are very hard on splines, and they will have a very short lifespan as you are constantly loading and unloading them under extreme pressure.

Also, you'll go ass-over-teakettle in the snow. Save your pennies, buy a real axle, and stuff it with a selectable locker.

CRASH

Since I don't think I've ever seen it snow in GA, that's a moot point.

As long as you know what can and most likely will happen and you are prepared for it (carry spare shafts and the proper tools- i.e. drain pan, roll punch, wrenches), I say go for it. I think that the lunchbox lockers are actually harder on the splines than the spool/welded bunch.

Sean

I think that the lunchbox lockers are actually harder on the splines than the spool/welded bunch.

I agree. Repeated and harsh loading and unloading eats up the fatigue life of axle shafts very quickly. Then all it takes is one overload situation, and BLAM, new shaft time.

Actually, to me, it's a toss up over which is worse in the snow, an automatic style locker or a spool. I remember when i had my Detroit, it would change lanes with every shift when I was driving in the snow and ice. At least a spool is predictable, the Detroit would always be banging and popping at odd times.

CRASH

I welded my 35 up and was running 31" tires and didn't have a problem. I did carry extra parts though. I knew it could go at any time and was prepared (as much as I could be) for it.

I swapped in a 44 with my last build up and had a full spool put in it. Friends here didn't like driving with a Detroit in the snow and ice. I felt a spool would be more predictable. I'm prepared to put in a selectable locker though if I have to. I just thought it was a cheap gamble to take because spools are a hell of a lot cheaper than an ARB/OX.

No, and there's really no point. If you want a spool weld it up or contact a machine shop. The first choice is nearly free.

Sean

Back