• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover

5-90 said:
I'd say a cork gasket and LocTite #518 gasket eliminator - but I've said that before. RTV Black on the gasket is a second choice. Ref my post on "Gasket Set Questions" for more info and how I've handled this....

5-90
shit... I knew I forgot something when I gathered all the parts.....

5-90 said:
I'd say a cork gasket and LocTite #518 gasket eliminator - but I've said that before. RTV Black on the gasket is a second choice. Ref my post on "Gasket Set Questions" for more info and how I've handled this....

5-90

I saw your previous post in which you recommend the RTV black or LocTite #518.
I went yesterday to NAPA to buy some stuff and looked at the RTV. There was clear, black and red. I don't remember what the difference between clear and black was, but I read on the package that the red is for high temperature applications.
Just curious why you did not recommend the red.
Thanks
Time for
:cheers:

Simplifying the logistics train. I find the keeping a number of sealants and such on hand is a great way to complicate things, so why not keep it simple?

RTV Black - General Purpose
RTV Copper - High Temperature and Self-Grounding Sensors
Teflon Pipe Dope - Bolts subject to water
LocTite 545 - Hydraulic Seals
LocTite 222 - Small Bolts
LocTite 242 - Medium/Large bolts
LocTite 272 - Exhaust Hardware

Get the idea? I'm just clearing mental overhead to make room for stuff I need to know...

5-90

Back