• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my toe straight...

J98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Ever since i can remember i have had to hold the steering wheel to the left because if i let go i would go off to the right. Well Ive had 3 alignments since my lift, one I did myself, and the machine will say its ok but you can see that the toe is off.
Well I adjusted it again tonight and now it goes pretty straight when I let go of the wheel but I adjusted it according to the distance between the lower control arm (actual arm) and what I thought was the center of the tire on each side... would it be accurate if i adjusted off of that?
I took it about 2 miles since ive done that and it seems like the edges are dark like they have been wearing ( I rotated the tires for the first time) way faster then what the two that are now on the back were so im just not sure about it... Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks

I'm having a hard time envisioning how or what you measured. Toe-in (or toe-out, which you don't want) is measured by measuring the distance between the tire tread centerlines ahead of the wheels, and again behind the wheels. The difference between those two measurements is the toe-in (or out) dimension. If the measurement ahead of the axle is smaller, you have toe-in, and if the measurement behind the axle is smaller, you have toe-out.

What you are shooting for, ideally, is zero ... when moving down the road. Each tie rod end and other joint in the steering has a bit of free play, however, so the tires are adjusted at rest to be toed-in slightly, on the theory that the rolling resistance when driving will take up the free play and allow the tires to point out a bit more than they do at rest.

You should aim for about 1/16" of toe IN.

J98cherokee said:
Ever since i can remember i have had to hold the steering wheel to the left because if i let go i would go off to the right. Well Ive had 3 alignments since my lift, one I did myself, and the machine will say its ok but you can see that the toe is off.
Well I adjusted it again tonight and now it goes pretty straight when I let go of the wheel but I adjusted it according to the distance between the lower control arm (actual arm) and what I thought was the center of the tire on each side... would it be accurate if i adjusted off of that?
I took it about 2 miles since ive done that and it seems like the edges are dark like they have been wearing ( I rotated the tires for the first time) way faster then what the two that are now on the back were so im just not sure about it... Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks
If it wanders and dont come back stright, it's your caster that's off.

Back