• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Shimmy at 40mph and up

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
I have had 31" trxus MT and at around 60 mph and up i had a wheel shimmy occasionally depending on the road conditions. Now with 33" Trxus MT i continue to have that wheel shimmy from about 40mph and up. The car just doesn't feel stable any more. All steering joints are new, alignment done, wheel balance, new aftermarket tierod, steering pump, steering stabalizer. The only thing old is the steering box which has 65k miles on it. But i don't think thats it. I mean what am i missing? Any suggestions?

The Trac bar. Depending on the lift it may be a good idea to upgrade to an Adj. HD tracbar and bracket. We need more info for your Jeep:

Lift (kind and size)
Year
drivetrain ect. ect.

i dont think an adjustable track bar would prevent anything. as long as the current track bar is tight and has no play in it. i think it has to do with crappy tires. lol. just messing with ya. they are probably unbalanced, try gettign them balanced again.

trainwrexj said:
i'd place money on it being unbalanced tires.

I would agree. But I was having the same problem (shimmy/vibes) until yesterday. I put in my Alloy USA rear shafts and the problem disappeared, so I took a look and sure enough the pass. 44 axle shaft not only had twisted splines but the flange was tweaked. I never thought of checking that when I was trying to chase down my problem.

trainwrexj said:
i'd place money on it being unbalanced tires.

For sure. I had the EXACT same prob you describe. My tires were balanced with sticky weights when I bought them, and just recently had them rebalanced with traditonal weights and it solved all my shake/shimmy/wobble problems. Sticky weights suck.

That's odd... my stock rims on my 92 XJ can't have weights on the outside, the rim is the wrong shape to accept weights. The shop I go to used their computerize spin balancer to get them perfectly balanced with weights only on the inside.

BTW - I'm going to have them balance my new MT Classic II's/Geolander MT+'s the same way because I don't want the face of the rim marred up by pound on wheel weights.

Back